Thursday, July 7, 2011

Today I'm two

Today is the second anniversary of my re-birth.

It’s funny that I had the surgery on the 7th day of the 7th month because my actual birthday is also on the 7th. My stepdaughter’s birthday is also on the 7th; seven has been good to me. The number seems to seek me out in a lot of ways. It’s a stereotypical lucky number but for me it’s really true. July, as well as February, has been good for me in the past as well.

So it was perhaps fated that my life changed so drastically on the 7th day of July in 2009.

In the past year, I have reached my goal weight yet had many struggles. It never ends, this addiction. The pull towards old habits is still intoxicating to me, I will admit. Fighting it every day, sometimes minute by minute, is something I will endure forever. But I have to realize that maintenance is something fought for and really, aren’t all things in life worth having?

Once upon a time I figured I would be “normal” someday and everything would be perfect. That is not to be and it’s ok. You take yourself with you wherever you go and simply changing the exterior does nothing to change YOU.

The two-year, post-op mark is a crucial time for gastric bypass patients. Some have started the regain by this time as the so-called “honeymoon phase” is over. If you haven’t learned how to deal with food, you will find yourself in the same position you were in pre-op. Can’t just change your stomach; you have to change your brain.

Also, studies show that within two years, 80% of gastric bypass patients who were in a relationship prior to the surgery are now single. That might be shocking to some of you but probably not to most WLS patients. Everything changes. If you don’t have a partner who is willing to roll with you, you’re in trouble. As I’ve said many times before, I’m an extremely lucky woman. I don’t see a divorce happening with Erich & myself, thank goodness. I know two post-ops whose relationships are experiencing major turmoil right now. Pretty much right on schedule, too.

By this time, studies also show that well over half of post-ops will change careers and/or jobs. Here’s the thing – both in relationships and jobs – what might have worked before may not now. Sometimes pre-ops settled for less than they should have thinking they could do no better or they didn’t have the energy to strive for more. Sometimes your ambitions simply shift; partners and offices sometimes just don’t fit anymore. Losing 100 or 200 pounds alters everything about you.

Tonight I’m going to celebrate my re-birthday by having dinner with my good friend Randi; then we’re coming back to my place to wallow in Bo Bice videos, pictures and stories. Can’t think of a better party!! Of course the real party will be this Saturday when Bo plays his first solo Canadian gig in Burlington, Ontario – about 45 minutes away from me. I met Bo Bice for the first time on July 8, 2006 (see…almost the 7th…LOL). The Burlington show will be my 25th. So you see, I have a lot to celebrate in the next few days. WHOO-HOO!! Bo is a critical piece of my journey. I give him, the whole experience of being his fan, some credit for helping me see there was more to life than sitting on my sofa eating pizza. If that sounds freaky to you, well I’m sorry. He and the people I’ve met because of him are very, VERY important to me.

This time last year, I blogged and shared a video taken the night before my surgery. I watched it again just now and that woman sitting on the sofa feels further and further away from me which is a little sad. I don’t want to lose her completely. I liked her! She still is me in some ways but in many other ways, she isn’t anymore. That woman sacrificed herself so I could live. She did the right thing and I am grateful to her for making such a brave, inspired decision.

I feel like that woman is counting on me to succeed. And because I care about her, I don’t want to let her down. It’s my job to continue the work she started and that’s my ultimate goal. Here’s to many more years of freedom!

Then and now (click to enlarge):

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this Cindy. I had noticed that people often gain weight a few years after surgery but didn't understand why - and I certainly didn't know about all the other changes they often go through although that makes sense too.

    I know what you mean about maintenance. I lost 30lbs two years ago and then gained back 8 of them. It's a slip here, a piece of chocolate there, a glass of wine here - before you know it, you could be back where you started. I'm back in control again for now but I'm aware how easy it is to go back to eating 'normally.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. RENAISSANCE: Rediscovery, Reawakening, Revival, Rebirth. You are indeed a RENAISSANCE WOMAN and continue to inspire everyone around you. HAPPY RE-BIRTHDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One very proud Aunt Haz just wants to say that you've always been a gorgeous woman in many ways and now many, many other people know that too. Luv u and Erich and Erica always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Cindy! You look so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved you "then" and I love you "now". But the "now" you is so confident, so happy, so healthy, so ... alive!!! And I salute you, my friend, after countless times of losing and gaining weight myself I just don't know what the word "maintenance" is.

    Remember back when people were questioning your decision and you were trying to explain about why you had the surgery. Because you had dieted and tried everything for years. Because you always gained the weight back. When you see me (tomorrow!!!) PLEASE let the thought "I did the right thing" go through your head. Always at your service. Heh. I love you and can't wait to see you!!! This time you can help me get up and down as we dance to the beat of BB.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy, congratulations to you! I really liked this post, especially "You take yourself with you wherever you go" and "That woman sacrificed herself so I could live." I'm sorry that this is still such a struggle for you. I hope that you are wrong, and that some day you don't have to fight the old habits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE YOU ALL!! Thank you so much for being the support system that has helped me achieve my goals. You all have helped save my life. I am eternally grateful. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete