Monday, July 12, 2010

Zipping through life

I should be speech-writing, packing, doing a number of other things but blogging. But whatever. I'll sleep when I'm dead (as the song says).

On Saturday, I put another check mark on the list of things to do in the Summer of Cindy. Ziplining.

I should start by saying I have a terrible fear of heights. The other phobia that would prevent a sane person from doing this is my fear of breaking things. I've always been very careful not to test things that might not bear my weight. I still have that going on in my head to a great extent, needing to remind myself of my 225-pound weight loss.

Erich, my brother-in-law Robert and I headed to the local ski hill, Chicopee, to get this thing done. I went online to find out information about the zipline and discovered there was a 275-pound weight limit. Definitely something I wouldn't have been able to do pre-op.

When we got there, they strapped us in our harnesses right away and off we went to the top of the hill. There are people movers, like you find in airports, for a lot of the trip but it's still a fair hike, especially at the very top when you have to climb several flights of stairs. I was breathing a bit hard but not overwhelmed or anything. I recovered in a few seconds. I consider myself to be in pretty good shape at this point.

They position you in front of two gates. Two people can go down the hill at once. Erich videotaped while Rob and I went first. I have to tell you I was ok till I got up there and looked down over the valley. Whoa. Then the guy opened the gate for me. There are four steps that lead to nowhere. Literally.

I had to laugh. I mean...there was nothing else to do! What the hell was I doing?? It was just funny to me that I was even considering doing this. The guy told us it was sometimes better if you sit down on the next to last step and scoot off rather than just jump into nothingness. So Rob and I elected to sit. Rob has height issues, too, so he was conquering a phobia himself. We sat down and Rob started counting "Ok, Cindy! Here we go! One...two..."

I yelled "WAIT! NO NO WAIT!" LMAO! Not quite ready. We sat there a few more seconds and Rob just pushed off. So I followed him. I hurt my throat screaming on the way down. I'm just saying. That feeling of 'Ok, I'm jumping off a cliff and trusting this wire to keep me from hurling towards the earth to certain severe injury if not death.' Again, I have major issues with worrying about things bearing my weight.

At the bottom of the hill is a huge spring that stops you. OMG, that is a shock! If you're little it's probably not so bad but man, I crashed into that thing full boar and it took my breath away.

Erich has no height issues or weight-bearing fears so he just jumped full speed ahead. On our second jump, I videotaped him and you can hear him screaming "YEEE-HAAA!!!" He had a blast.

Here we are. Watch it and have a laugh. When I'm videotaping Erich, there were three teenage girls in line behind me and they were starting to freak out a bit. It's them you hear chattering when he's getting ready to jump.



My second jump was much less traumatic and I was able to enjoy it more. Talk about a feeling of weightlessness! It was pretty cool. I would definitely do it again!

Tomorrow Erich and I travel to Detroit for my induction into the Centurion Club, where I'll have to give a short speech. We're supposed to say a few words about how the surgery has changed our lives and talk about how we plan to keep the weight off. I dreamed about my speech the other night so I woke up and wrote it out in about 10 minutes. I'll tweak it tonight and we'll see how it goes! Wish me luck! Public speaking is right up there in my top five nightmare-inducing things to do. So if I pull this off without making a total idiot of myself, that'll be another thing to check off the list that I didn't think I could do pre-op. Then on Wednesday I have my one-year check-up with Dr. Genaw.

The past year has just been incredible. I'm not finished yet. :)

6 comments:

  1. You freakin' rock! I smiled the whole time I was reading this blog! Today I hit 67 lbs lost myself, and reading about all your new and exciting adventures keeps me motiviated and excited! You keep on going girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ziplining looks like it goes pretty fast! We went ziplining in Newfoundland but it went sort of side to side across the mountain (6 runs), and I don't think it got up to the speeds yours looked like it got. Video here if you're interested:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdHmo-rNJKo

    Good luck on your speech! I hate public speaking too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WA-HOO CINDY! You are awesome. I couldn't help but giggle with glee the whole time I watched the video and read this blog. You look fantastic. Reading your blog inspired me to get back to the gym. I've been on a steady routine and am ready to rock it. The ziplining would have scared a few pounds off me alone. LOL Maybe one day, I'll be brave enough to take that on too.

    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work, Cindy! And good luck with your speech. I know you'll do great! Just be yourself, and everyone will love you. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Cindi! I don't mind heights but I was getting woozy watching you step out because I couldn't really see what you were standing on. I cannot believe you tried that, not sure I would. Good for you, I'm sure you got a high from that.

    Good luck in Detroit, I can't imagine a better representative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the ZIP LINE video!!! Way to go!!!

    Speech advice ... Don't think of it as a speech.... It's a verbal blog... it's you, sharing with "friends", your experience, and fortitude. You have the first-hand knowledge of this story and you are sharing this important story with an eager audience, who will no doubt be hanging on every word. I have no doubt you are going to be AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete