Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Unanswered Prayers

What a funny thing life can be. Twists and turns that fate forces you to take oftentimes guide you onto the straightest path.

Not long ago, I found the Facebook profiles of two boys I was obsessed with in school. You might not believe this, but I was fairly boy crazy (was? Still am). I know, hard to imagine. You can stop laughing now. Anyway, most of the objects of my affection didn't give me the time of day in a "romantic" sense. I was the fat girl in school, after all. I had many friends and yes, a few boyfriends, but a few did get away. LOL! The boys - men now, I suppose - I found online looked much the same as they did when I thought I couldn't live without them. Just older. And I'm sure they are great guys with fabulous wives and families. Honestly, I wish them both the best. But I had to wonder: What would my life be like if I had gotten what I wanted?...Which was THEM, at the time.

My small town is full of couples who met in high school or even elementary school. There are those who have been together as long as I can remember, some from the moment we first wrote notes back and forth asking "Do you like me, circle yes or no?" And bless their hearts, I'm thrilled they're still together and happy. I couldn't make that work myself - my first husband and I were high-school sweethearts. But really, I have to be happy that I didn't get what I wanted.

What if I hadn't met Erich and been in a position to date him, then move to Ontario?

What if I had kids with my first husband, virtually tying me to him and the area where we grew up forever?

What if I'd never been bored - by myself with a husband who worked nights - and tuned into American Idol, seeing Bo Bice for the first time? What if I had been working (which I couldn't yet do in my new country) and hadn't had the time to immerse myself in his online community? You can mock me all you want, but being his fan and meeting the wonderful people I have, has changed my life for the better in immeasurable ways. Not the least of which is the desire to travel and LIVE - which spurred me to have the weight-loss surgery that saved my life.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that when you are presented with two paths and one looks more overgrown and messy than the other, safer one...make the tough choice. The road less traveled is the one paved with gold. Life is supposed to be challenging. That's where the rewards are. Do this in every aspect of your life that you can and you'll be happier for it. I promise!

And learn to thank god for Unanswered Prayers.

5 comments:

  1. Good thoughts and good advice Cindy. Lindy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the like button, Cindy? Love this blog... and you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny...I've been thinking about the ones that got away as well. Just wondering what they are up to, how their life has been, how many kids they have, what kind of fathers they turned out to be. Unlike you, I haven't found any on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this blog. Funny how life is .. how you get to where you are and where you're going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marianne, they showed up in the sidebar, in those 'people you may want to add' thingys, since we have mutual friends. It was funny seeing them! Brought back some memories. I didn't request them, though. LOL!

    And thanks everyone else for the kind words. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete