Monday, October 17, 2011

MSNBC calling?

I woke up this morning to an email from what I thought had to be a prankster or a troll. Someone purporting to be health reporter Rita Rubin was asking to talk to me about a story she was writing for msnbc.com about families of gastric bypass patients.

Suuurrreeee, I thought. Tell me another one! I almost didn't write back to her. Well, I'm glad I did because it was no joke and I ended up having a very nice conversation with Ms. Rubin. The premise of her story was that families of gastric bypass patients are found to sometimes lose weight as well. She asked me if that had been my experience.

Erich hasn't lost massive amounts of weight, but his lifestyle changed right along with mine.

Erich has never been extremely overweight. When I married him, he wasn't overweight at all. As I mention in the article, I sort of dragged him down with me into my illness of inactivity and bad eating habits. I feel badly about this a lot. He was active before we met and had hobbies such as camping, swimming, etc. I wrote about our ninth-anniversary camping trip last year and what a wonderful feeling it was to give that back to him, something he loved doing so much but we were unable to share when I was so obese.

Since I've lost weight, we've not only been camping but also canoeing, ziplining, 4-wheeling and horseback riding in the Dominican Republic, and even simple things other people take for granted, like riding roller coasters take on special meaning for us.

The rest of our lives together is just beginning. I can't think of a better partner to take on the journey.

Here's a LINK to Rita's article on msnbc.com.

By the way, the trouble with my IUD that I talked about in my last blog has subsided for now. I spoke to my gynecologist and for now, we're taking a wait-and-see approach. Cross your fingers for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment