Sunday, March 14, 2010

A matter of movement

I lost 5 pounds this week. Here's the odd thing - on Friday, I stepped on the scale and was at minus three; I got back on Saturday just for the heck of it and was down two more. So my friend and I are on speaking terms again. LOL!

Seriously, it's a matter of movement. If you want to lose weight, you. have. to. move. I actually made it to the gym three times in the past week, plus I've been doing my calisthenics and some cardio here at home on the 'off' days. Yes I'm tired, no I don't feel like it sometimes, but if I just push my ass off the couch I feel so much better physically and emotionally afterwards. It's worth the effort; and it shows on the scale.

It's getting a bit warmer these days so I can't wait to get outside for some exercise. I got so tired of walking last year but now I'm anxious to take a power walk, or even a jog, around my neighborhood. I mentioned a long time ago that I wanted to be one of those women running on the sidewalk, ponytail bobbing up and down, looking like she had her shit together. Well, that might be me by the end of the summer this year.

I don't know why I want to run so badly. It bothers my knees, for sure. But I feel like I need to for some reason. Maybe I see the ability to jog as proof positive of a certain level of fitness.

When I was in elementary school, we had a 'jogging drive' for charity. You had people sponsor you and we all ran laps around the gym. There were HUGE white sheets of paper on the walls telling everyone who ran the farthest. There were sheets for 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, etc., on up to I think four miles. I remember looking at those sheets and being flabbergasted that someone could run four miles! I also remember running laps and people literally 'running laps' around me. One girl, as she passed me, pulled my sweatpants down; see, everyone else had cool shorts on but I wouldn't wear shorts in gym so I had on sweatpants. Nice. I felt fat, defeated and ashamed. Yeah, I was the fat girl even back then. I've been the fat girl all my life, really. So maybe it goes back to that day. I want to run to prove I can, I suppose. And I do jog sprints on the treadmill at the gym. It makes me feel almost superhuman when I do that!

So I'm at 252 now with a total loss of 192 lbs. I will soon be at my next 50-lb. goal of 200 total!

I've been talking about a tattoo forever. So long that ya'll are probably tired of hearing me. But I have an appointment next Saturday the 20th to get my weight-loss tattoo. I've decided on a heart for every 50 pounds, going from just below my neck down the center of my back. Five hearts in all. I'll get four on Saturday since I'm so close to 200 lost at this point. The final heart will be at the top and I want to make it stand out in some way which I haven't figured out yet. I like the idea of hearts to symbolize love...my love of myself. I'm losing this weight for me and see the hearts as a expression of how I care about myself, my body, my life.

I also have Tim (the tattoo guy) working on another design for me. Something very special that may require me going under general anesthesia to withstand as I'm a total wuss when it comes to pain. However, we'll see how it goes. More about that when the time comes.

I'm really behind on my rewards. I'm just so busy during the week then on weekends, I spend one day running errands and one day resting, normally. But my rewards are important and these two tattoos are a step in the right direction. :)

8 comments:

  1. You WILL jog. Even if it's only a short way because of your knees.

    The tattoo sounds awesome. How about something like this for your top one?

    http://www.crestock.com/images/500000-509999/507026-xs.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Cindy! I'm glad you're taking the time to reward yourself. You are a shadow of your former self--physically speaking.

    By the way, it's been 3 months since you've given us an update photo. Any chance we'll see a new one soon? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Mother of God, you've lost almost 200 lbs!! That.is.amazing. Congratulations, my friend. Yes, you deserve rewards for sure and the heart tattoos sound like just the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is incredible reading your progress month after month Cindy. Well done. I can't say it enough. Well done.
    Pam
    Now, if only it would inspire me to get off the couch that would be wonderful. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edited - I like that Allison! I'll consider that for sure. And I did job a bit today. It went very well.

    Laura - I've posted pics from my bday on Facebook but I do need to update my profile pic here, too. I don't really look that different though! Hair is longer.

    Thanks Susan and Pam! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats and best wishes for continued success, Cindy. And..I think that tattoo you descibed sounds PERFECT. Can't wait to see pics of that, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy I love your tat, and kudos to you for being so brave. I'm not sure I could do it. You've come such a long way in your journey, and I so proud of you. Hope to see you soon!! :)

    Love you...

    ReplyDelete