Sunday, June 27, 2010

New in Nashville, part one

I have been so busy, I can't believe it's been so long since I've blogged. So much has happened! Let's start with Nashville.

As I prepared to go to Nashville for the tail end of CMA Fest, I thought about what to take with me. Sunscreen, check. New clothes, check. Flip-flops, check. Tickets for Bo's fan club party, check. Camera, check.

Then I was struck by some of the things I knew I would've needed pre-op but not so much this time: Arthritis, high blood pressure and diabetes medication. Cane. C-pap mask. Portable fan (for the room and outside). Durable walking shoes (ugly or not). I would've needed all that and probably still would've only been able to go to the fan club party and back to the hotel. Seriously.

The 12-hour drive alone would've doomed my body in the past. That kind of thing killed my back; we would've had to stop several times so I could walk around, delaying our arrival. This time, I actually split the drive with Erich and had no problems other than a bit of stiffness. But I walked that off in a few seconds. I wasn't really tired when we arrived, either.

Our room was on the second floor. Evidently, there was an elevator but we weren't told about that so we hoofed it up and down the stairs the whole time. No problems. Hell, I even carried my own luggage up by myself. That's a switch!

The next morning, we went downtown for the party. The cab dropped us off a little ways from the Limelight - meaning, we had to walk a bit. I said to Erich 'I would've been done right about now.' That small walk would've had me hurting, panting, sweating. It's hard to describe the little things like that. It's just such a different life. Things so many people take for granted that I now celebrate. People kept complaining about the heat but honestly, I didn't think it was that hot. I was warm, but fine. What I'm sure would've been unbearably oppressive and debilitating to me before was barely noticed now.

We stood in line to get in and greeted lots of friends. I got a bit pink standing out in the sun for 10 minutes. Yep. Now you know why I needed the sunscreen. People still crack me up when they see me. It's all 'you look wonderful!!' I love hearing it, I admit. I've worked hard and went through a lot to get to this point so I'm grateful for the acknowledgement.

All of Bo's 'peeps' like to say that 'we had a family reunion and a concert broke out'. That's an apt description of what it's like to be in the Bo Bice family. I think, at this point, seeing each other is just as important as seeing Bo. But he brought us all together and we're forever grateful to him for that.

Sweet Bill surprised Erich and me with passes to LP Field, the downtown stadium with huge acts playing nightly. HOLY CRAP!! It was incredible of him and honestly, like him to be so generous. It never occurred to me that I would be able to go to LP Field while we were there. He said he 'wanted to do something nice' and the 'opportunity presented itself'. Thank you Bill. You gave me an experience I will never forget.

So things were getting off to a great start! LOL!

Now, our wristbands had the number '1' on them, but I figured with my luck the numbers would start in the back or something. Nope. We were right up front! We mingled with everyone, had a nice catered brunch then Bo took the stage. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Until you see him live, you don't understand. He's the consummate performer and fills up the whole arena - small or large - with his charisma and talent. It was great, as usual.

I got some merchandise at this show! I rarely buy anything because well, I can't wear it. But this time I got an XL shirt that fits me perfectly. Actually, it's a tad big in the waist but I'm built so oddly now that I think a perfect fit is going to be a pipedream from now on. LOL! I also bought Erich a ballcap plus I got a bandanna. Why? I dunno. It was there. And it'll be good to tie onto my bag for shows and stuff. Erich loves that cap. He wears it all the time!

At the meet and greet after the show, I hoped to have an opportunity to speak to Bo without making an idiot of myself. That's usually the way it goes, really. The last time I saw him, in December, I tried to explain to him what I think his role is in my weight loss but didn't get anything out but to tell him that being his fan changed my life and to thank him. I never really got to go into detail because I goober'ed out (that's a Bo phrase). So this time, I walked up to him with a purpose. I didn't even let that smile of his make me goober. Nope.

I gave him a gift that my friend Nancy and I got for him, let him sign my fan - the one with his face on it that the fabulous Sue had made for all of us - then I told him I had lost over 200 pounds in the past year or so. He said 'wow', took a step back and gave me a once-over. I went on to say "And YOU had a lot to do with that. I was to the point where I was hobbling to your shows with a cane. I wanted to see you and my friends, just be NORMAL, so much that I said 'screw this' and did something about it." I swear I thought the man was going to cry. His forehead wrinkled up and he gasped as I told him that. Then he pulled me into a hug. He said "Oh, you don't know what that means to me. That's so awesome. I'll be praying for you. That's incredible." As he released me, I said again "You had a lot to do with this. So thank you. Thank you." He shook his head and said "That's, wow, that's so great, Cindy. You look great. Wow." I thanked him and he said "Well, I'll be looking for you at my shows. You better come see me." Um, YA THINK?? LOL! I started to walk away and he squeezed my shoulder. "Thank you, Cindy. I'll see you soon."

He tells me I look great, calls me by my name (twice) then tells me he'll be looking for me at his shows. He knows how to put asses in the seats, huh? LMAO! I'm kidding, I know he was sincere. It was a sweet moment with him and I'm happy I got the opportunity to talk to him.

Snapshots from the party (click to enlarge):

Before the performance:


Bo's performance:





Meet & greet:


Next up: After the party: Walking the streets of The District, yet another Bo show, and an unfathomable night at LP Field. Coming soon, I promise!

9 comments:

  1. Glad you had such a fantastic time sweetie, I only wish I could have been there to see you and give you a big hug!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww... You brought a tear to my eye with your story about Bo. He's a sweetheart, and I'm SO glad you finally got your moment, ungoobered. ;) I miss you! I'm debating going to Streetsboro next month. Any chance you're considering it? My work will determine my schedule, but if I don't have anything, I'll probably be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, reading your blog brought happy tears to my eyes for you. You Go Girl! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew the story and still have a grin on my face from reading it again. I was going to say a few things, but I'm going to wait to comment on your next installation. What a blast we had though, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. You always make cry & it was so awesome to see you, Erich, & spend time with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful.
    And the photo of you with Bo is stunning.
    Pam (in TO)

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s. I LOVE your hair short. It really looks terrific.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can say after reading that is I am soooo happy for you! I'm so happy about the way things are turning out for you...you deserve it! You know how people say a smile is infectious...well reading your blogs can be that way too. Your happiness shines through and makes us feel happy too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much everyone! I love you all and appreciate your support more than I can say.

    ReplyDelete