Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Who knows what?

The arrival of the new year as me thinking about the next steps in my journey. People always ask me if I'm "done" now that I reached my goal weight. I may be done losing weight - and the jury's still out on that - but I'll never be done watching my weight. I'll never be done trying new things and celebrating life in this body. I feel very grateful that I had the good sense to take a second chance on ME and believe life itself is not something to be taken for granted anymore.

So what's next? Who knows what?

Well, one thing I do know is I have a lot I want to try. New things that pique my interest, and a split second before dismissal have me thinking HEY! I could possibly physically DO that! Maybe I'll try it!

Horseback riding. I have only been on a horse once that I can recall, when I was a small child. My maternal grandfather was alive so I was probably between 5 and 7 years old. Too much of an animal lover to even consider this an option pre-op - I mean, the poor horse! - for some reason this is on my radar screen lately.

Rock-wall climbing. Dangling off a real cliff isn't my idea of a great time, at least not for my first time, but I can see me trying to scale a rock wall. The dangling part could maybe come later. It would be fun to see if I could actually do it, if I'm strong enough.

Karate? Yes, I'm putting a question mark after that because if I don't, there's a high probability of the men in little white coats coming to haul me away. We got a coupon catalog in the mail and I ripped that page out. There's no coupon on the page but it intrigues me for some reason. Let me tell you right now that Cindy has no balance, little patience and practically zero desire to jump around in a white robe with a roomful of people. So I have no idea why this appeals to me. But it does. So I keep looking at the page and wondering if I could give it a shot.

Zumba. I keep hearing such great things about Zumba, which is sorta like a dancing/cardio mix thing, that it's the first class I've been interested in taking. Aye, but there's the rub. It's a class. The gym Barbies don't intimidate me as much as they used to, but I still don't want to jump around in a well-lit, mirrored room with them. It's something I really need to just GET OVER and do it. Take a class, any class, just to get over my fear.

Everything I want to do at this point seems to over the top compared to the days when I simply longed to walk across the floor without sweating. Cross my legs. Sit on my husband's lap. Stand up for an hour or two and watch my favorite singer. All of that stuff is so automatic now but I try never to forget how difficult it was to get here. Never take it for granted.

Do I want to lose even more weight? That's a toughie. I don't think I need to, but I kinda want to. So I guess I won't be happy till I do, right? I'll cross that bridge when I pull up to it.

So those are just a few things rambling around in my head. The sky's really the limit here, people. Who knows what?

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to start Zumba too, I hear it's a lot of fun, but it's the commitment of going out on certain nights at certain times that stopping me. Do it, Cindy, hell with the Barbies.

    ReplyDelete