Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Be your own friend

It's not rocket science: The better you treat yourself, the happier and healthier you are. And it doesn't take much get the feeling back that maybe you deserve that little extra sumpin' sumpin' to push through to your goals, whatever they may be.

We tell ourselves things that we would never say to another person because well, we wouldn't want to be rude or hurt his or her feelings! Why act any differently towards yourself? Treat yourself with at least as much respect and TLC as you would your family and friends - or a stranger, even!

Rituals are big with me. I need things on my schedule that make me happy, whether it's putting on makeup every morning, having an after-lunch, sugar-free piece of chocoate, or taking a few minutes to pet my cats when I get home at night. Putting on lip gloss in the morning makes me feel pretty and alive. I know that might sound weird, but it works for me. And that feeling makes me want to take care of myself in other ways throughout the day.

I've been working on stress relievers since my job is such hell right now and I feel myself slipping back into old habits occasionally. Treating myself - being good to myself - helps out a lot. I might see a movie in an actual theatre (remember those? that's where people went before downloading and pay-per-view), or go to bed early with my Kobo (Hunger Games Trilogy=awesomeness). Both improve my mood and remind me to...wait for it...take care of myself in other ways.

Those "other ways" can be whatever you decide. For me (and a lot of people reading this), it's either weight loss or weight maintenance. Staying in shape is all about doing the work required to keep yourself there. And you have to give a shit about yourself in order to give a shit about doing the work.

Like I said, it's not rocket science.

So tomorrow, start making a conscious effort to be your own friend. What would your best friend do or say to put you in a good mood? What can you do - the little things - for yourself today? You will feel better, smile more and I bet you'll be more apt to put down the second cupcake and hit the gym.

3 comments:

  1. Really good message Cindy and one we don't think of often. I think we generally tend to take ourselves for granted and are not nearly as good to ourselves as we should be. Or, as you point out, as we are to others. Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You actually saw me eat that 2nd cupcake? Damn, I thought I was alone. Gulp!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely Lindy. We really need to see ourselves for the kick-ass chicks we are and treat ourselves accordingly!

    Marianne - I SEE ALL. Ha!

    ReplyDelete