Saturday, April 23, 2011

Sweet thing

I know in the weight-loss-surgery world, sugar is a four-letter word. If we listened to some folks out there, you should avoid it - forever - at all costs. Well, I have a little secret to tell you. *whispering* That's not entirely/exactly true for everyone.

In the first stages post-op, it definitely is important to cut out sugar as much as possible. Everyone's tolerance level is different, but for the most part, sugar=bad. We do not want to dump. No. And I absolutely avoided sugar like the plague at first. Some patients will have trouble with sugar indefinitely; some have trouble with sugar substitutes - indefinitely. But for most of us, the return to "normal" eating brings sugar along with it.

This all goes back to moderation. Time and time again, I've stated that I eat pretty much anything and everything, just not all at once and not every day. You have to change your brain or bariatric surgery will not work long-term. No matter that I simply can't physically sit down and eat 4 or 5 doughnuts anymore, I just don't want to. It's bad for me and I don't want to do that to myself.

But do I occasionally have a doughnut, a piece of chocolate or a slice of cake? Sure I do! If I'm out to dinner on the weekend, having a meal on a holiday or someone brings something into the office - then yeah, I will indulge a tiny bit.

I pick my battles, though. I won't drink my sugar. I see no point in drinking sugar. Really, I'd rather eat it! And if I can go sugar-free, I will. For example: I spend more money on Russell Stover's SF chocolate during psycho-cycle time; eat only SF yogurt, jam, maple syrup, low-sugar oatmeal packets and Splenda in my cereal; and will have SF ice cream or frozen yogurt if I can get it. Anything with sugar is limited in quantity and preferably after a meal, when I have something in my stomach. Sugar on an empty pouch can set it to rumbling. Too much sugar on a full pouch can do the same thing. It's a balance, just like any other kind of eating.

I sill am considered a diabetic though it is controlled by my diet and I require no medication for it now. So I am aware that I need to be vigilant. And I am. Much more so now than I was pre-op, when I really was on 1000mg of Metformin every day for my diabetes.

Reading labels is so important. For example, granola - which sounds healthy and all - is loaded with sugar. Honey Bunches of Oats cereal - which sounds like it would be full of sugar - is a great choice. 150 calories with 6 grams of sugar. Sign me up. I try to keep things I eat daily under 10 grams of sugar per serving. Again, it's a BALANCE. I eat well the majority of the time so when I have the doughnut at the office once every other week or something, I don't feel guilty about it. At all.

Check out this link.for some understanding of the sugar that might be hidden in things that sound healthy.

And no, I don't worry about eating artificial sugar. I'm not eating the stuff by the pound and I'm just not concerned. If you are, that's ok - eat what you like.

For me, the bottom line is that I'm not willing to live totally without sugar. There are some who will tell you that you should never eat sugar again. Well, that's bullshit. Unless there is a physical reason that it bothers you in particular, then yes - you can. I know I'm like beating a dead horse here but THERE ARE NO BAD FOODS. Anything and everything can be enjoyed in moderation as long as you can physically tolerate it post-op.

And now, let's enjoy a little "Sweet Thing" shall we? ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Moderation is the kicker though. I know that, for me, sugar is addictive. I'm OK if I lay off it altogether - but if I try just a little bit, then I have to have more. That one donut becomes another one the next day and pretty soon it's a habit and I'm gaining weight. For me, it's best to just stay away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anon - I get that, I do. My main motivation for writing this blog is to let WLS patients - and those who may be considering WLS - know that you really *can* eat sugar and have normal food again. Nothing should be off limits; I don't believe in diets that tell you there are foods you can never have again. But if saying no is easier than saying stop for you, then by all means do what works.

    ReplyDelete