Sunday, July 8, 2012

Three is a magic number

Yesterday was my 3rd rebirth-day, as my husband calls it. The anniversary of my surgery and the day my life changed forever. Changing for the better every day!

Erich and I went to Stratford and took a relaxing boat tour of the Avon River. It was a beautiful day and strolling around the water watching the swans was what I needed after a week of very intense work-related stress. Celebrating low-key.

My other re-birthday gift to myself was signing up for my first 10K. I think I'm ready for a new challenge. My knees - with braces on them both - held out pretty well for the Father's Day 5K. So I'm gearing up for the Minds in Motion K-W Walking Classic on September 23. Yes, I will walk it. For some reason, people tend to make you feel badly for not running. I'm taking baby steps here - my knees thank me for it. There was also a half marathon option but nope. Not yet. Sorry!!

I posted this picture on Facebook yesterday morning and had such an overwhelming response of support from my awesome friends and family. The photo on the left was taken in December, 2008 - two months before my first visit to the surgeon in Detroit. The pic on the right was taken on Father's Day this year during the 5K I participated in for prostate cancer awareness and research.



I've said it before, but I bear no ill will to the woman on the left. She was brave and strong enough to save herself and I am grateful to her. I'm not one of those people who cringe at my 'before' photos. I still don't really recognize the woman on the right. I know it's me, but it still doesn't seem like me.

Three years seems like a long time yet it also seems like yesterday. I've learned a lot. A lot about me and those around me. Here are the top three things I know to be true:

3. I am stronger than I think I am. Who would've ever thought I could do this? Certainly not me. I mean, I wouldn't have started it if I didn't want it but I have been successful beyond my own expectations and surprised myself with my fabulous-ness!!

2. Support is the most important ingredient to inspiration and therefore, success. When you think you can't go on, there will be someone, somewhere, to let you know YOU CAN. You will. You must. It could be your partner, parent, child, friend, a stranger on tv or in a magazine. Someone. Support comes from unexpected sources, let me tell you, as does apathy. You might learn who really has your back and who doesn't; I sure did.

1. The journey never ends. It just goes on and morphs into something different as time goes by. The new normal is you being healthy, positive, looking out for yourself. Taking care of yourself. Goals are important - maintenance itself can be a goal but for me, I'm learning I need new challenges. New reasons to push myself to maintain health. Hence the 10K signup.

Let's toast to Three. It's a magic number! :)



4 comments:

  1. God, I love you Cin. Just thought you should know! Mwah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy: have you tried Glucosamine and Chondroitin? Although there is controversy as to whether they help, I think my knees are a little easier. I also take Tylenol Arthritis (or the generic version) or just Tylenol Extra Strength daily. I have severe OA in my R knee and moderate in my L. :<
    Well done BTW. Such an accomplishment. :)
    Pam in ON

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks Deb! Love you, too!

    Pam, I take a glucoasmine/chondroitin mix every day, have for years. My knees are just totally shot - weighing nearly 500 pounds will do that, unfortunately. I do think it helps me some but when I want to do things like run 5Ks or walk 10Ks, my knees don't like it much! And yes also to the Tylenol Arthritis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said and well done. Congrats again! I have a feeling I'll be referring to these blogs a lot in the months to come! So glad you journalled it.

    ReplyDelete