Monday, December 10, 2012

Here's a tip for ya

'Tis the season to be inundated with "helpful" tips to keeping your waistline trim while you navigate your way through office parties, get-togethers with friends and celebrations with family. Here are my thoughts on this, likely to be controversial.

Isn't there enough to stress out about? Enjoy yourself a little bit. Why in the world would you have half an apple and a full glass of ice water (cold water revs up your metabolism; water fills you up; apples are loaded with water) at Aunt Mabel's house rather than enjoy a small slice of her homemade pie or shortbread? Honest to god, I don't get it.

I recently read that the average person gains one pound over the holidays. And even if you gain two or *gasp*...three, so freakin' what? Your routine will return to normal in January and it'll come off. Just live your life.

Have a cookie. Not the whole tin. Done.

And if you're one of those people who can't have one because one starts an avalanche, well, ok. But for most of us, we can live with it. I believe moderation is the key to living without deprivation. I don't believe you need to give up mashed potatoes or the occasional piece of pumpkin pie to have success. Relax and enjoy the holidays!

Now, off topic, if you don't follow Tony Posnanski, The Anti-Jared, you should. Especially on Facebook. His posts are awesome. Tony lost over 200 pounds and knows what he's talking about. Listen to him and get inspired.

1 comment:

  1. You're preaching to the choir in my case...I totally agree and that's been my attitude since coming out of surgery as well. I'm not too worried though because it's not like we have an inundated calendar with social activities! LOL We will go to my sister's on Boxing Day...that's it. Only difference this year will be that instead of heaping helpings of everything she puts out, I will manage a spoonful of everything. Now I'm off to check out this Tony guy.

    ReplyDelete