Sunday, August 25, 2013

Drains and dresses

Thirteen days post-op! No way am I ready to do cartwheels, but things are definitely chugging along.

Both drains came out this past week - two days apart - and GOOD LORD!! Those things were really long. I had no idea I had that much room left in my abdomen. LOL! It didn't hurt at all. Like, not even a little bit. You know what was painful? Getting the tape off my pubic hair. Yes. I would have to say that so far, that is the most painful thing I've had to go through.

And some people PAY someone to do that to them *shudder*

I'm pretty squeamish when it comes to blood and guts, so I don't look at myself that much. I can't bear to see the Bride of Frankenstein look. Seriously, I look horrid! I know the scars will flatten and fade over time, it's just difficult for me to look at them. I've said it before. I'm a wuss. Sue me.

Also, I still feel like I'm going to break. If I remove my binder to take a shower, it kinda stresses me out. Raising my arms makes me feel like I might rip open or something. I'm starting to walk more normally, though.

There seems to be a bit of an issue with low blood pressure but I'm sure that will pass, too. I have been told that is fairly common after the tummy tuck. Removing 13 pounds of skin and tissue is very trying on the body, I would imagine. Just trying to watch myself when I get up so I don't get too light headed and dizzy.

I have completely stopped the Percocets and am taking Tylenol 2-3 times a day. Nerves seem to be waking up; I'm having a little more pain now. Fleeting sharp pains nowhere near any incisions. The incisions themselves ache somewhat but not badly. However, my hips are still totally numb.

A big complaint right now? I am so tired of sleeping on my back. In fact, I think it's interfering with my sleep patterns. I sleep for about five hours and wake up with a backache. Then I get up for about an hour, then, still exhausted, go back to bed for another 4-5 hours. I long for the day I can sleep on my side or stomach. Ugh.

Last year, I bought a cotton maxi dress at Old Navy. It was about $10 and very casual - I even thought I might wear it as a bathing suit cover-up. The only one in a pattern I liked was a size large but I tried it on anyway...and it fit! I was really stoked to have a size large in my closet! LOL! Yesterday, I pulled that dress out of the closet because I wanted something other than my nightgown to wear. Underwear rubs against my scars causing discomfort and I can't bend over well to get pants on so, nightgowns have been my outfit of choice for the most part. Anyway...I pulled out this dress and slipped it over my head. It's baggy! I was pretty surprised. I know there is a big chunk of my stomach gone but it's still kind of jarring. It will be interesting to see how my jeans fit me.

What a long, strange trip the past four years has been. So many new and exciting adventures so far and more to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment