Saturday, March 7, 2009

Milestone #1

I got on the scale yesterday morning and I am very happy to announce that I have now lost a total of 20 pounds!

I'm thinking this calls for a happy dance of sorts.



That always makes me laugh and get in a good mood! Ah yes, I'm a teenager of the '80s and I worshipped at the altar of Molly Ringwald. Respect, yo.

I consider this a milestone since it's been ages that I actually tracked my weight loss and could say, out loud, "I've lost 20 pounds." Several years ago when I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I lost quite a bit of weight but I have no idea how much. I just know that people noticed and I could tell my clothes were looser. So I figure it was about 50 pounds. Then I went back to work, got all stressed out and gained it back, pronto. Right now, losing only 20, I can't tell in a physical-appearance way at all. And there is no one coming up to me asking "Have you lost weight?" It takes a bit of time for that to come when you're as heavy as me. But it's all good. I feel better and more energetic.

I gotta tell ya, I have discovered broccoli crowns and steam bags. OMG! I love broccoli and the crown part is the only part worth eating anyway, in my opinion! I buy those, fresh, cut them up and put them in those new vegetable steaming bags. Five minutes and completely delish. I need quick. I'm not one to follow some long drawn-out recipe. I ain't spending an hour in the kitchen, especially on a weeknight. I can cook, but I don't really like to. It's a chore, like laundry or anything else. So those bags are genius to me.

Yogurt, fruit, skinless chicken breast, fat-free turkey and low-sodium soup has replaced double bacon cheeseburgers, pizza, fries loaded with bacon and Velveeta, breaded and deep-fried...pretty much everything. How can I go wrong, dude? I find myself getting restless, wanting to move around more. If I sit too long I get jumpy. So I walk, swim, do chores or whatever. I'm still online more than I probably should be, but I can feel a shift. It's hard to explain but I told Erich the other day that "something is clicking". And it only took 39 years. I don't know what the future holds but I can't help feeling pretty damn good about the present.

9 comments:

  1. You can't see me now but I'm standing and applauding. LOL. You go girl! Oh and I love broccoli too. Did you put anything on them before shoving them inside the steamer bag? Like spices?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love steamed broccoli, too! My parents steam it and put a little lemon juice on it for added flavor. Keep up the good work, Cindy! Congratulations on the first milestone.

    And doesn't this mean you're halfway to your goal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marianne - Thanks sweetie! Nope, I didn't put any spices or anything on the crowns before I steamed them. Just plain. They were great! I've been using a lot of Mrs. Dash spices when cooking, though. They are salt-free and really good.

    Laura - YES, that means I'm halfway to my goal of losing 40 pounds before my next visit with my surgeon on April 24. :))) I'm doing ok, if I do say so myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *WOOT* Congrats Cindy! You ARE half way home! You should be feeling really proud of yourself, I know I'm feeling very proud of you. Who would have thought that fat free anything would replace pizza and deep fried everything?!!! WTG! I have to say I'm actually a little jealous of your new found energy level. Gosh, I wish I had even just a little motivation to get moving. Got any for me? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. 20 pounds...WOW!!! Outstanding!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That really is wonderful Cindi. Attitude is everything, and I can tell you are well on your way to success.
    Anon from DOOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. 20lbs?? That's FANTASTIC... good for you Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GO CINDY, GO CINDY, GO CINDY!!!!!!!!!!!
    wow half way there. i always new you were an amazing person. and now you have proved it. i am just too happy for you to come up with the right words. Just keep it up.

    ReplyDelete