Saturday, October 16, 2010

The beat goes on

I've thought a lot about what I would say when I reached my weight-loss goal of losing 250 pounds. What inspiring words could I write about such an achievement? Something I've chased after my entire life? Something I never thought I could do? How could I put the emotion into words?

On Friday morning, I stepped on the scale and there they were: Three little magic numbers. 194. 194.0, mind you. Like it was planned or something. I stood there a moment and let it sink in. Huh. I did it. I lost 250 pounds. Fifteen months, eight days after my surgery. I smiled to myself and considered waking Erich up. I would've if not for the fact that we already planned for him to drive me to work so he could take my car in for an oil change; he would be up soon anyway. So I just went to the kitchen to make my breakfast - after posting on Facebook about my achievement.

Erich and I celebrated when he got up with hugs and kisses. My mother and I had an agreement that I would call her the minute I reached my goal. Waiting till about 7:30, I made the call. She and my father were asleep but woke up in a hurry when I shared my good news. They are happy for me and so proud. Making my parents happy is almost as important to me as making myself happy. So that was a nice conversation.

Erich took a photo of me to mark the occasion (click to enlarge):



Several of my work friends are on Facebook so everyone already knew when I walked in to a hug from the company owner's wife and applause from a few co-workers. My supervisor said "Cindy! You aaaarrre The Biggest Loser!" LOL! That's *almost* true. Michael Ventrella, last season's winner, is the only one to lose more than 250 pounds (he lost 264). So there ya go. LOL!

Funny sidenote: I brought a fruit tray into work as sort of a celebration. It was barely touched. My co-worker and good friend Rafal and I joked that if I'd brought in a dozen donuts, they would've been gone by noon. Very true.

That night Erich took me out to dinner to celebrate. I know - food to celebrate a massive weight loss? But hey, what were we gonna do at 7 p.m.? Hike up a mountain? I had grilled chicken and a baked potato (half of it) but I really wanted a drink. Gastric bypass patients are not supposed to have alcohol as it is absorbed very quickly into our system. Basically, we're very cheap drunks. I've always been a cheap drunk so lord knows how alcohol would affect me now. I rarely drank pre-op but I wanted to celebrate, you know? Pina coladas and strawberry daiquiris are out; too much sugar (they were my favorite pre-op drinks). But it was $4 martini night at the restaurant so....I opted for a Jolly Rancher martini. Man alive! Good stuff but I sure did feel it very, very soon. Cheap drunk.

Erich made a toast: "To my pretty wife." Awwww....

We did some shopping before dinner and *drumroll please* I found some to-the-knee boots that fit!! For $30.00!! I am so excited. Woot!! My little gift to myself.

Words of inspiration. Hmmm. Well, I can only tell you this: I ain't done. It ain't over. The hardest part of weight loss is maintenance. I will have to work for the rest of my life to keep this weight off. I must take that very seriously. I went to the gym today, the day after reaching my goal, to remind myself of that. You're not done, Cindy. The beat goes on.

I need to thank you all once again for your continued support. It has made my task that much easier knowing I have you all to count on and answer to! Many times I've pulled back from a not-so-smart food choice or wanting to slack off my exercise because what would I tell all of you? I didn't want to let you - or myself - down. So thank you.

Roller coaster blog is coming! :-)

5 comments:

  1. Happy dance being done for you, my friend. you rock! Happy maintaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you already know how proud I am of you and what an inspiration you have been. But I have to admit, the IRONY of your post has me laughing out loud. "Erich took a photo of me to mark the occasion (click to enlarge)" Something about "CLICK TO ENLARGE" coming from a woman that just lost 250 pounds just cracked me up. Love ya!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful news Cindi! You deserve to celebrate.. You're not just closing a chapter in your old life, you've opened the door to a brand new one!
    Enjoy every moment, and thanks for taking us along for the ride. You've been an inspiration to us all. Love you and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that picture! I love your determination! I love you! Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS! Wonderful. What an achievement!
    (And congrats too on finding the boots.)

    P.S. That Sonny & Cher clip took me back to 1967. I remember! And look at the difference in Cher: nose...teeth. I reckon everything's been changed, lifted, sucked out, popped in. Amazing what money can buy! :)

    Pam in ON

    ReplyDelete