Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Clothes, gym, whatever

I went to the gym Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. So last night (Tuesday) I took the night off. I felt I was entitled.

I decided to go through my closet again. Fall weather is definitely here, so it was time to put away the capri-length pants and dig out the winter stuff. I thought about just getting rid of the summer stock because, hopefully, I won't be able to wear a thing that I own when spring 2010 hits. But I didn't, and decided it would be good for me, if indeed I shrink down like I'm hoping I will, to try on some of those capris and see how far I've come. And besides - some of it I really love and can alter if need be.

I have some clothes shoved in the hall closet that I got from another gastric bypass patient. I tried some of those but they're all too small so they went back in. I have another bag from my mom that I got when I was down in Ohio over the summer. There was also a bag from my own closet. Just stuff that I was never comfortable wearing before. Either they'd shrank in the wash or I'd simply gotten too big for them. Well, I tried everything on and I pretty much emptied both bags; I can wear everything in it now. Huzzah!!! What a great feeling.

I felt inspired so I went through the closet in my bedroom and got rid of everything I don't like. Mostly t-shirts and tops from men's big & tall shops. It's infinitely cheaper to buy clothes for men than women, at any size. I'd get a shirt at a men's store for $25; a similar one at a women's store might be $40. I could not shop at Walmart (the biggest size was too small), so my choices were limited, price and size-wise. Also, when you're a 6-7x, you buy what FITS. Liking the item is secondary. I would look at sizes first; if I thought I might be able to wear it, only then would I consider whether I'd die of embarrassment if I wore it in public.

Those days are over. O-V-E-R. I filled a huge garbage bag with that stuff. I will never again buy clothes because it's my size and 'well...it's not too awful...' or '...that one kinda looks like a woman could wear it...' Done! Hell, I even organized my closet by color. It's a thing of beauty. I'm having so much fun with clothes it's ridiculous. LOL!

I picked up my note from the teacher (or doctor, whichever you prefer) and finally made it to a session with Jennifer tonight. Not bad, not bad. I feel more at home in that place every time I go. She had me warm up on the treadmill then we went through several exercises on different weight machines. I think she was surprised at my strength. I figure my body has to be at least somewhat strong to have carried around all that weight. Especially my legs. Nothing she asked me to do was that hard - however, I am well aware this was only the first session! LOL! Anyway, it went well. Afterwards, I did another 15 mins. on the treadmill and 15 on the bike. We'll see how I feel tomorrow! Next session is Friday.

Been having some trouble keeping food down the past few days. Not sure what's up, could be just stress from the whole gym thing. But I feel good and I know it's only going to get better.

6 comments:

  1. I can just imagine how good it felt to have those smaller items fit you. I hear ya about picking the size first and then deciding if you'd be to embarrassed to wear it...I'm doing that too. What's the first regular store you want to visit when you reach your goal weight? For me, it would be a store like La Vie en Rose...or La Senza! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is it to be able to get/wear something you actually, ya know, like, rather than settling for what fits. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Just--AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy:
    I remember my sister telling me once that it is never too late to have the childhood you wanted. I'm thinking that applies to the teen years too and the accompanying preoccupation with clothes. Good for you girl! And here's to wearing clothes because they feel and look good - not just because they fit. Well done!
    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome acheivement! Cindy... you have way more energy than me... I can't imagine working out 4 days in a row and then cleaning my closet out on the fifth! Yikes! Congrats on everything. You are awe-inspiring.

    Hugs...
    GenCi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone so much for the wonderful comments. They mean a lot to me. In response to Marianne's question: "What's the first regular store you want to visit when you reach your goal weight?" - Hmmm....I haven't thought about it much. I'm still just stoked I can walk into a plus-sized store and find a shirt. For some reason I want stuff from Old Navy. Their sizes go up to 2x so I'm almost there! La Senza or Victoria's Secret would be good, too :)

    ReplyDelete