Thursday, October 1, 2009

The next phase

I made it to Detroit in one piece yesterday...barely.

I got started really early. My appt. was at 4 and I left home about noon. It's about a 2-1/2 to 3 hour drive to Detroit from my place so I figured this would be cake. Um, no. Everything was fine till I got to Windsor (a.k.a. Construction Hell). Man alive! Took me a while to get to the border. THEN when I got there, I was treated to armed guards and drug- and/or bomb-sniffing dogs patrolling the line-up. These guards were serious. Tapping on people's windows - who were still in line to talk to security, mind you - and asking that trunks be opened, keys surrendered, etc. They got on their stomachs and were looking under cars; led dogs around and around the perimeters. Looking for what, I have no idea. I rarely see stuff like that and I cross the border pretty frequently. It was like they were looking for something - or someone - specific. They didn't bother me much. I guess I looked safe. Ha! Still took awhile to get across. I walked into the dr's office at 3:58. Phew.

My blood pressure was sky high, but I assured them that was not normal and was no doubt a result of the last hour or so of the trip! LOL! Then, I guess according to Dr. Genaw's ledger, my appt. time was 3:10; he thought I didn't show up and LEFT!! They had to call him to come back. Good grief! Poor guy. My little appt. card definitely said 4 p.m. Anyway, it all worked out in the end.

The appointment went well and he was pleased about my progress/weight loss, especially the disappearance of the diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea. I don't have to go back now till next July, for my yearly check-up! Yay! I still need to get bloodwork every three months and keep him posted, but I don't have to go back to Detroit.

The gastric bypass program at Henry Ford has a "100-Pound Club" of sorts. It's for people who have lost more than 100 pounds. Dr. Genaw wants me to come back for an induction ceremony into that club. His associate took down my information and they are supposed to contact me when the next one rolls around. I told Erich about this, explaining that it's a long drive and I didn't necessarily need to go. He totally insisted that I go participate. A friend of mine agreed, saying I had literally worked my ass off and deserved to go be honored in this way. Ok, yeah. I do. So I'll go and be proud of myself. I am proud of myself.

Dr. Genaw could not wipe the grin off his face during our appointment. I wrote, when we first met, about his noticeably strong handshake. Yesterday, he shook my hand about four times - strongly, happily and it felt great.

On my way home, I drove alongside the setting sun. It was a little cloudy and oh my what colors! Many shades of blue - denim, robin's egg, slate and azure. Gray and white, with punches of orange, red, purple and yellow. It was so beautiful that I started to cry, grateful I could see it. I sometimes feel like I cheated death by losing weight. When I think of what I almost gave up just so I could have a second piece of cake, a half an extra-large pizza or a third helping from a Chinese buffet, it makes me emotional and sappy. I'm more appreciative of the small stuff now. I was reminded how silly things like wrinkles are (see last blog).

Tomorrow night, I start working with Jennifer at the gym! I'm a mix of terrified and excited. I'm going to really try to view her as someone who is helping me achieve my goals. Someone who is helping me live. And I will really try (no matter how pissed I get with her) to surrender to her greater knowledge of what is best for me.

4 comments:

  1. Awwww, Cindy!! I am so happy for you!! Your blog makde me tear up with hapiness!! Keep up the good work and you DO deserve to be honored in the 100 lb club!! Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, Cindy, you've made me cry at your description of that sunset! How beautifully you write! Yes, you must go celebrate! You so deserve it! Thank you for sharing your steps along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are in a "good place" now.
    I'm so proud of you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy... you deserve to go to teh "100 Pound Club" induction. I am so happy for you, and really find your blogs very inspiring.

    You are incredible for going through this and amazing for sharing your journey with us.

    Big hugs to you!
    GenCi

    ReplyDelete