Saturday, November 21, 2009

A day in the life

I've had people ask me what I eat, what supplements I take, how much I drink, exercise, etc., etc. So here are the fascinating details of a typical day in Cindyland.

I get up at 7:30 and have a glass of water. Since I don't have to be at work till 10:00, I normally like to start eating by at least 8:30. Gastric bypass patients are supposed to wait 30 mins. before and after eating to drink - we want our pouch filled with food (i.e., nutrition) and not water. Most mornings, I have one scrambled egg and a slice of bacon. Sometimes I'll throw in half an English muffin smeared with some sugar-free jam but not often. I have to eat slowly, trying to wait about two minutes between each bite. This is why it takes me about a half hour to eat. But if I'm done by 9, then by 9:30, when I have to leave for work, I can take my liquid calcium and liquid glucosamine before I leave then tote the supplements I take in pill form with me.

When I get to my desk at work, I start drinking water and taking my supplements. A multivitamin, ursodiol, maybe my biotin tablet. All spaced at least five minutes apart to avoid nausea. (I'll explain all these supplements at the end.) These days, I get hungry more often and will sometimes have a handful of nuts around 11 or 11:30 - I keep a small container of them at my desk. I go to lunch at 1 p.m.

Lunch often involves leftovers from the night before. Now, sometimes I eat what I cook for Erich and sometimes I can't (steak or chicken breast doesn't agree with me very well). I'm not going to deprive him of the things I can't eat so I will often make two dinners, one for me and one for him. But things like meatloaf, Hamburger Helper (don't judge), bbq chicken thighs - yes, I'll take those with me. Protein-dense soups like Chunky beef or sirloin also work. I might eat 1/2 cup of that plus a few crackers and a wedge of cheese. A couple times I've hit the drive thru at Wendy's for a jr. cheeseburger - I take the bun off the bottom because too much bread makes me feel heavy and nauseous. It's ok - we don't have to eat like nuns for the rest of our lives. Compared to what I used to eat at Wendy's (a double with bacon & cheese, large fries, maybe a "side" order of chicken nuggets plus a large diet Coke - I did this a few times a week maybe) this is progress. I don't feel guilty. And that single little cheeseburger fills me up for the rest of the day.

After lunch, I wait 30 mins. and start drinking again. At that time, I will take my iron tablet and B-12 (I take B-12 every other day since my levels are quite high). We are told to wait two hours between calcium and iron supplements, so that's why I wait till lunch to take the iron. Lots of clock watching.

When I get home from work, sometimes I'm a little hungry again. Physical hunger is slowly returning to me as the months go by. I understand this is normal and everything but it's a little scary. I think all gastric bypass patients are terrified of hunger, of returning to their old way of eating. But the thing is, even if I'm starving I can't eat very much. My pouch won't let me. I get full and satisfied with very little. My brain tells me I need to eat 3 plates of food, out of habit, but my body will put the brakes on at about 3/4 to one cup. So when I get home I will have a half an apple with a bit of peanut butter or something. Maybe a protein shake if I'm going to the gym. I'm really working on the protein since my hair is in sad, dire shape.

If it's a gym day - Monday, Wednesday, Friday - I go and do 30 mins. on the treadmill and 20 mins. of strength training. I also try to hit the gym at least one weekend day. I skip the strength training then but up the cardio to 45 minutes - typically a mile on the treadmill and 3 on the stationary bike. I've tried the elliptical. Evil. Bad.

Dinner is like I described above. I try to make things we can both eat but sometimes I can't. I'll make him a big steak and myself a fish fillet then a side dish we can both enjoy like mashed potatoes or something. I sneak in a veggie when I can (Erich is not a fan, either). I can eat potatoes in pretty much any form but rice and pasta give me trouble sometimes. When I was in NY last weekend, I ate spaghetti for the first time in a few months. I was a little scared because the last time I tried it, it came back up but ahhhhhhhh......not this time!! And I do love my Italian food. And again, after dinner I wait 30 mins. then start drinking. At that time I will take my 2nd multivitamin, calcium and ursodiol doses of the day.

If I'm having a rough day and things aren't going down well (i.e., I have to throw up) then I drink some Eater's Digest tea and it settles my stomach. When I feel a bit better I go back to my old standby - whole wheat crackers and peanut butter or cheese - just to get some calories/nutrients down. I keep the tea at work and always have some on hand at home. I don't have problems like this as often as I used to, though.

So there you have it! That's what a typical day for me is like. I have to put thought into everything I put in my mouth. It's becoming second nature at this point though, especially all the clock watching. The main thing I still have trouble with is chewing things into oblivion. I have to really pay attention to that or the pouch will get pissed off.

I lost two lbs. last week - 295. One pound away from 150 lbs. total lost. I think I will get a haircut for my reward. Still looking for boots. Sigh. I have a feeling I won't be able to find any until I reach my goal weight.

I'm going to see New Moon in a few hours! EEEEEE!!!! Plus I'm going shopping for a few ingredients I need to try out some Eggface recipes, now that I found some stuff missing in Canada when I was in NY. I intend to try her protein-packed, sugar-free fudge, donuts, pancakes and tortilla pizzas. I'll let you know how it goes.

Information on supplements:
Equate (Walmart brand) Century Plus multivitamin (2/day)
Ursodiol - prescription med meant to calm the gallbladder - stopped 6 mo. post op. (2/day)
Life (Shopper's Drug Mart brand) Liquid Calcium (1000 mg. - 2 doses/day)
Swiss Natural Sources B-12 (1 every other day)
Nature's Bounty Gentle Iron (28 mg. - 1/day)
Bio-Tech Pharmical Vitamin D (50,000IU - 1/week) https://secure.bio-tech-pharm.com/detail.aspx?product_id=20&cat_id=2&subcat_id=0

Stuff I take that's not required:
Swiss Natural Sources Biotin (300 mcg - 1/day)
Jamieson Natural Sources Liquid Glucosamine (1500 mg - 1 dose/day)

Eater's Digest Tea: http://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Medicinals-Eaters-16-Count-Wrapped/dp/B0009F3PIA Canadians, we can find this pretty much anywhere - Zehr's, Shopper's, Walmart. I'm not sure where it's available in the States, though. I'd never heard of it till recently but then I never had a need for it.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Cindy:
    I absolutely love your new picture. You look fabulous!!!
    Love, Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are looking good, girl! Thanks for sharing your regimen with us...and I am going to look for that Biotin, too. I hope you get to that goal and your new picture is beautiful, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME NEW PICTURE!!!

    ML
    BILL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanls for the new picture, Cindy! (and the motivation. :) )

    You look abosotluely amazing, and it sounds like you are feeling pretty well, too.

    That's great!

    Wishing you continued success and good health.

    GenCi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting, Cindy... we're all so proud of your progress and determination. You're looking fantastic, and you're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete