Saturday, May 16, 2009

Reward system

Well, I lost the 4 lbs. I gained last week, but I'm still frustrated. I realized I'm only down 4 lbs. since I saw Dr. Genaw on April 24th. That ain't good enough. I'm doing what I always have - maybe a slight plateau is setting in? Sigh. This week I plan to concentrate on moving more. Exercise, exercise, exercise. That scale needs to show me something good next Friday.

I decided I'm going to institute a reward system for myself. I've read about lots of people doing this so I'm gonna give it a go. I deserve that, I think. Losing weight is hard and it's good to have a treat to look forward to. So here's what I came up with so far.

50 lbs. = pedicure. I've never had a professional pedicure in my life. I just do it myself. I have a thing about people messing with my feet. In short, I hate it. But I do see the need for pedicures and have always wanted to get one done by a pro. So I'll bite the bullet and overcome a fear while treating myself nicely.

100 lbs. = peep tattoo. Ok, I got a tat back in 2006 on the Bo trip to Texas with my fellow staffers at The Bice Effect. Most of you know the story: We all went to Texas for 2 shows and were together all in the same place for the first time. To commemorate the occasion, we all got tats (yes, even Lecia). Mine is a dark green, circular Celtic knot on the inside of my right lower calf. I love it! I've wanted another one ever since but as I've mentioned before, I'm a wuss when it comes to pain. That tat freakin' HURT. It hurt more than I thought it would, even! But I really want a few more, especially something to honor this experience of being a Bo Bice fan. It's about so much more than him at this point. Being a Bo Peep is a lifetime gig, as one fan put it. I'd like to get a little yellow chick somewhere. Again, it's about accomplishments and overcoming fear. I'll sit in the chair again for the peep. ;-)

Beyond that, I don't know. Every 50 lbs. seems a good system. I'll have to think of something big for the 150-lb. mark. Yes, I want to lose that much and more. Hmm. By that point, maybe it'll be something to do with being smaller - like doing something I've never been able to do since I'm so big. Riding a roller coaster maybe.

Just a final FYI - if you subscribed to this blog in the beginning and don't get notifications, I encourage you to re-subscribe via email. My feed wasn't working properly when I began this thing (totally my fault) but it seems ok now because I know some people do get notifications. Peace! And thanks for reading.

8 comments:

  1. That's a great idea. But I think you need more frequent rewards, how about everytime you lose 10% of your original body weight? First suggested award, a trip to Nashville, TN in June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta go with "Anonymous" on this one. Nashville in June, Bo and 50+ Peeps, plus a little long-haired rocker boy to go with it? Sounds like a primo reward to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that you need more frequent rewards.
    Call me when you've reached your next goal. I will come and get you and we can have the pedicures done together. My treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Cindy. I had a big fear of pedicures myself until about 10 years ago and now I love them. I have a wonderful girl and we chat while she is doing it, so you don't really focus on the pedicure. She is so much fun and we laugh while she works.
    Marianne - are you going to take her to your niece for the pedicures?
    Cindy, I am so proud of you - you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, a trip to Nashville would definitely be a GREAT reward! Not in the cards this year though, I'm afraid. Marianne, you're too much. I just love you to pieces. And thanks Chris! I didn't know you had not liked pedicures in the past. Makes me think maybe I can overcome as well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy...Congrats on your incredible success. A reward system is a great idea. And I think you deserve more frequent rewards, too! I think everytime you loose 10% does sound like a great idea. Maybe have a "small award" everytime you loose 10%, and then a BIG reward when it adds up to 50 pounds? I think a 50 pound weightloss= a new outfit, since you will certainly need one at that point. :) You might even reward yourself with a new exercise routine. I have recently discovered The Biggest Loser Yoga with Bob Harper. LOVE IT. Very effective, and is a different kind of workout that cardio/strentgh training. Best of luck in continued success and thanks for keeping us all posted.

    Hugs to you.
    GenCi

    ReplyDelete
  7. First 4lbs weight loss in one week is awesome. Huge! I am averaging 0.9lbs per week with lots of weeks showing no loss or a slight gain, so I envy your 4lbs.

    But this is a lifetime journey you're on, so does it really matter what you lose this week or next week? Remember, there is no end point on this road. There's no moment when you'll say "OK, I'm done now. I can go back to normal." Once you realize that, you don't worry so much about the scale but just focus on feeling healthier. Or a least, that's what I'm doing.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreeance with more frequent rewards. 10%, every 25 lbs, something like that. You're doing great, kiddo. I love pedicures but just recently started doing my own again. Why? Because I can.

    I'd love to get a "Peep" tattoo too, but I'm afraid that would be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete