Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cool clothes?

Shallow blog alert:

Clothes are weird. When people lose weight, you hear about them going nuts buying clothes because of the sudden abundance of choices. Now, of course I did that - the sheer joy of owning things I was never able to fit into was not lost on me. But now that I'm "settling" into maintenance I have noticed something: Clothes are still difficult to find.

At first, I just wanted the damn shirt because it was a 2X...or a 1X...then an XL. I can wear it? Then I must have it!!! Right now!!! There were things in my closet that, in the clear light of day, made me go WTF? much like taking off beer goggles the morning after a drunken one-night stand.

Wandering around any random women's clothing department, nowadays I'm trying to be much pickier about what finds its way into my cart. And here's the thing - most of the time, I prefer the styles of the plus-size department. Shocked? Not more than me.

So I got to thinking about this....why? For years, I assumed I wore the clothes I was physically able to wear for that lone reason. They fit on my body, so I bought them. Of course, I couldn't wear many things in the plus-size department anyway; I was too big, even for them. But I wanted to. Badly. And sometimes I still do. I'm not sure if I grew to like the styles because of necessity or what but in some instances I find myself turning my nose up at the offerings in the misses' department and wishing I could find something small enough in plus sizes.

Weird, huh?

Just another thing I bet most people don't consider when beginning a weight-loss journey. I know, I know....cry me a river. And honestly, it's not a huge thing but it's on my mind so now you're going to read about it. Sorry!

It's not all about patterns and colours. My new body is also a big factor in why it's difficult to find things that suit me because I often discover I need the cut of a plus size (nipped-in waist, fuller cut in the tummy/hips) but the numbers on the tag aren't small enough. The "regular" clothes aren't cut for someone with all this extra skin. Spanx helps but doesn't work miracles.

So the hunt for cool clothes is never ending for us all, right? To be continued...

A shout-out to a very special reader/friend who will go under the knife this week and start his own weight-loss journey: You know who you are. Good luck and I'm merely an email or phone call away if you need anything. You're going to do this and kick ass. I know it! *hugs*

1 comment:

  1. Ha! This blog made me laugh out loud! I really despise having to shop for clothes! The worse thing are those plus size fabrics that remind me of the curtains that use to hang in my grandma's dining room! Yic!

    ReplyDelete