Sunday, January 29, 2012

A thousand words

When Erich and I first got married, I insisted that we begin a tradition of having yearly family portraits taken with my stepdaughter, Ericha. My family and friends were very far away and when I sent Christmas cards, I wanted a nice update to include along with it. Ericha's birthday is in early November so we would always schedule a session around that time in order to get a nice shot of her, alone, and have the prints back in time to send in our Christmas cards. I was also eager to start some traditions for Ericha and indeed, this was something she seemed to look forward to every year.

We stopped when she turned 18 in 2007. But last year, Erich and I talked about getting some professional portraits done for our 10th wedding anniversary. We didn't have any really nice photographs of us since my weight loss and it being a special occasion, we decided to revive the tradition and include Ericha in the session as well.

When I went to the pre-session consultation (this was big time, no usual Sears or Walmart portraits...LOL), the photographer wanted to know what kind of family we were. Casual, formal, playful, etc. I told her we were very casual. Just because this was a professional session, there would be no formal wear and no stuffy poses. I told her my husband's hair was shoulder length and my stepdaughter's was pink. Multiple tattoos and piercings all around. So you get the idea. She laughed and said "Wonderful!"

The photo session was interesting and fun. None of us had never posed for a pro before, so there was some trial and error as they hovered around us with light meters and gently persuaded us to move a hand, tilt a head, or put on a genuine smile.

The results were more than I could've hoped for. The photo on the left below is the one from our first family portrait, in 2002. The one on the right is from the latest session (click to enlarge).



After showing this before-and-after to someone just the other day, she asked me, in reference to the shot on the right, "Did you ever think you would look like that? Or could look like that?" No. Absolutely not! I suppose I do so many of these before-and-after things because the change doesn't hit me too much when I look in the mirror. I need to see it with my own eyes laid out before me, then I get it. And it helps! It's motivating and makes me understand all the hard work I've done and how I never want to go back.

Motivation for maintenance is key. You have to do what works for you, whatever it is that makes you get up and go to the gym, eat healthy at least most of the time, and love yourself enough for your accomplishment to GET IT. Look what you've done! It's amazing! But it ain't free. You have to work at it forever. But it's very important to take the time and be present in your mind to look at what you've done and what you CAN do.

Here's our 10th anniversary portrait. I can't say enough about my love for my husband. Partnership and support through this whole journey is of the utmost importance. And the best thing about him is this: He loved me just as much in that 2002 portrait as he does in this one. Just as much.

7 comments:

  1. Such beautiful pictures. I especially like the one of you and Erich. The last paragraph of your blog made me cry. You can see the love the two of you have in your picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura as in Twnk, not bicebabe LOl

      Delete
    2. Well, this Laura (bicebabe) says it too ;)

      Delete
  2. I love your new pictures...especially the one of the 2 of you. You make the perfect couple! I would imagine that looking back on those older pictures it must seem rather surreal to you...like 'who is that girl?' It also must seem like a thousand years ago in some ways and in others like yesterday. Wishing you much continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning photos Cindy. Beautiful. True love, for sure - and it shows.
    Ericha is a good looking young woman, and it sounds like you have a good relationship with her. That has to be the icing on the (wedding) cake. :)
    Pam/ON

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures are gorgeous and so are you guys. Keep looking at those before and after pictures, Cindy, to see just what you've accomplished. It's incredible .. the transformation in your face is amazing in itself. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much everyone! My husband is pretty damn special.

    Marianne, you are right. When I look at old pictures of myself, I hardly recognize that person. I love her though, and never will forget her.

    ReplyDelete