Sunday, January 22, 2012

So you're considering bariatric surgery?

As I mentioned in my last blog, a friend of mine recently had gastric bypass surgery at a nearby hospital. He came through everything just fine, as expected. There is no doubt in my mind he will be successful - because he totally rocks - and I am so excited to bear witness to the wonderful journey on which he has embarked.

There are a few other friends of mine who are either considering surgery or completing preliminary programs and waiting on a surgery date. While no beacon of knowledge, I make myself available to those who have questions and concerns. I've been through this and like to think I can add something to the table. However, I also make it clear that my experience is mine alone. Everyone's is different and you should only do what you and your doctor feel is right for you.

Looking back through old posts recently, it occurs to me probably one of the most valuable things I can give to those who are searching for answers - beyond answering individual questions, which I'm happy to do - is direct them to the blogs I wrote surrounding my surgery date. Maybe start in late June, 2009 and continue on through July. My surgery date was July 7, 2009 and I wrote about the actual surgical procedure and its aftermath here.

Day one of my pre-op liquid diet, and a particular passage caught my eye:
Right now, I'm in a much better mood than I thought I'd be. I've been on the verge of tears a few times, but overall I'm ok. I'm hungry, but I'll live. The first day is always the worst. But what I'm doing now to overcome this lifelong, debilitating affliction is a small price to pay for living long enough to hear one more song; read one more book; feel one more hug or kiss - write one more word.

It'll be worth it.


This is something all bariatric patients, including myself, need to remember when the going gets tough. It's also true for those who haven't had the surgery. It's hard, it sucks some days, but it's all worth it in the end. I haven't spoken to anyone, personally, who wouldn't repeat the surgery and go through all the bullshit over again. I was very lucky and had very few physical side effects. Most of my issues were psychological and I still struggle with those.

Recovery from food addiction and obesity is a lifelong process, like recovery from anything else. There are times when I fall off the proverbial wagon and have to chase it down again, scrambling back on with both hands and holding on for dear life. If I don't, I'll end up right back where I started and I want to ride that wagon, baby! Take me far away from the behavior patters I made in the past, please. It's not easy or something that will ever be effortless, at least not for me. Choices are made each day to be healthy, to continue living. You'd think that would be effortless and a no-brainer but it's not. When your demons get a hold of you, they are difficult to eradicate.

There are also a couple links to the side of this blog I found helpful but I will also put them here for those who are interested. The woman who started the website from which they originated doesn't update anymore but she left everything up and it's a good read. After you get to these FAQ sections, I would suggest clicking around her site via the links on the top right of those pages:

FAQs for pre-ops

FAQs for post-ops

Again, her experience differs from mine and yours will likely be different from both of ours, but it's still worth checking out, in my opinion.

Good luck to everyone choosing a healthier lifestyle, whether it's through surgery or not. I'm here for you in any way I can be!

2 comments:

  1. I am not opting for bypass yet, although I probably easily fall into traditional candidate for surgery category! However, I have kept up on your blogs through out the years and I've found that some of the links quite helpful.
    The Biggest Loser and Sparkspeople have offered quite a bit of info and support, and of course I know I can always count on you! Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being sick at home I watched Dr. Oz on TV this afternoon. Part of his show was dedicated to gastric bypass surgery. Very informative and encouraging to those who are considering it. And apparently, those who might consider it are not, being unaware of the pros and possible cons. It's not just for the morbidly obese. For most patients their diabetes disappears almost immediately so they get off those drugs, along with some BP ones. The main issue is, as Cindy has stated, the emotional/mental one. And it also takes a lifelong commitment to good diet. The show will probably be online by tomorrow: DoctorOz.com
    Pam in ON

    ReplyDelete