Sunday, September 20, 2009

Safe vs. Getting real

Busy, busy week! As I'd mentioned before, work is really hectic for me right now. Even more so this past week since one of my co-workers was on vacation. Basically, when I got home I just sorta zonked out, not in the mood to write or anything. I did well to exercise a few times and that was it.

I did an aquafit class this past Thursday night. The last time I tried that, my knee completely gave out on me and I couldn't finish the class. That's why I've been swimming laps - much easier on the joints. But since I've lost some weight now, I thought I'd give it a try. It went pretty well all things considered. I felt a stabbing pain in my left knee a couple times during the class and afterwards, both knees were aching. I was a little afraid of what they might feel like Friday morning! But no worries; they were perfectly normal all day. I was really glad I at least finished that class, even though I am so horribly uncoordinated I resembled a true fish out of water doing some of those fancy moves! LOL!

Last weekend, I went gym shopping. I want an all-female atmosphere, so I'm limited to a couple of choices: Curves and Goodlife Fitness (they have female and co-ed gyms). Curves was up first. GREAT, welcoming place and very friendly staff. No mirrors on the wall, several private changing areas. The women who were there working out looked 'normal'...not a size zero in the place. Next up was Goodlife. Wow, what a difference!! Heavy-duty, serious gym equipment at every turn, a lot of Barbie-doll lookalikes running around in cute little outfits, their perky ponytails bobbing up and down. Mirrors everywhere - is it a gym or some sort of voyeur/sex thing?? Only one private changing area and the sales rep was very proud of the sauna. Sauna? I have no desire to sit around and sweat. I found her approach a little pushy, too. When I hesitated at signing right away, she goes 'What's stopping you? You said this was important to you.' Um, yes...however, the first words out of my mouth were also that I wasn't signing anything today and just wanted to see what you had to offer.

So initially, I'm thinking the clear winner here is Curves. Maybe I need to start slowly and work my way up to Barbie-dom. Right? Well...maybe not.

The more I thought about it, the more I came to the following conclusion: Curves is what's safe; Goodlife is probably what I need. And here's why. At Goodlife, I can get personal training sessions that will no doubt help me tremendously. Here's the thing - before last Saturday, I'd never even been in a gym in my life. I have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm doing. I could hurt myself or spend 6 months doing something that isn't working me to my maximum potential or yielding maximum results. The variety of equipment available at Goodlife is also appealing to me. They have classes, too. I'm not big on classes yet but we'll see.

The personal training sessions are 40% off right now, but they're still pretty expensive to me. They sell them in 6 or 12 increments. I think I'm going for the 6 now. So I go in tomorrow to sign up. Lord help me, but I'm gonna do it. I'm stronger than I think I am, right? Me, scared of Barbies? Pfffft.

I went to see my family doctor on Monday. She was very pleased with my weight loss and agreed that right now, she sees no need to continue my diabetes or high blood pressure medicine. I had some bloodwork done and we'll see how that comes back, but I think it's ok. I go back to Detroit to see Dr. Genaw on the 30th. Only thing I'm worried about there is my protein levels. Sometimes, I just can't get the protein drinks down. I try my best but I ain't perfect.

I only lost two pounds last week, so I'm at 320 - 124 lbs. total lost. Hopefully I do better next week. I didn't have a great week, food-wise. I notice that when I'm feeling good and things are going down well, I lose weight. When I feel nauseous and odd, I don't lose as much. However, I have no control over that, which is frustrating. Sometimes it doesn't matter what I do, I don't feel well. I suppose stress exacerbates the problem and I have been stressed this past week. Everything stayed down, but my stomach felt a little weird a lot of the time and my pills weren't going down very well. It is what it is and I'm still newly post-op so I just have to be patient.

It has been FREEZING in the mornings and nights here. I have no freakin' jackets to wear so I confiscated Erich's that he got from work. It's a 2x. Heh. Fits pretty well. I put on some sweats last night (I get cold easily anymore) and they were so big, Erich and I cracked up. He insisted I try on a pair of his - size XL. So I did and they were tight, but they went on. Unbelievable. Every day is a new discovery and a new milestone.

Sorry about the length of this one. I'll try not to let this much time pass again!

5 comments:

  1. I think you made a great decision in choosing Good Life over Curves. I recently was watching one of those weight-loss/exercise shows - sorry but I forget which one - might have been X-weighted or Last 10 pounds bootcamp. The person being featured was a "motivator" at one of those gyms like Curves (could have actually been Curves but they didn't say the name). And I say "motivator" because she probably didn't have the credentials to be a personal trainer. Anyway... on to my point. The fitness/trainer guy on this show was telling her NOT to go there, don't do those routines. They are useless, was his point. She was stunned, didn't believe him, and said she'd keep going. He said fine, go, but make sure you do HIS exercises during this period. This woman was at least 50 pounds overweight - no doubt she was eating poorly and that was contributing to her weight problem, but you do have to question why she was in such poor shape if the Curves-type workout was any good. A personal trainer, at least a few sessions, is a really really good idea. Good luck!

    Oh, and about your 2 pound loss this week... that's still a TWO POUND LOSS!! I think that's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I lost 2 pound last week........

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think two pounds is great Cin! I also am glad you are going to Goodlife. Don't be afraid of those mirrors. Own them. A personal trainer is also so very important right now since you have never really done this before. You go girl.

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously. Two pounds right now would have me exstatic. :) Cindy.. when choosing a gym, it's important to go where you feel comfortable, and somewhere easy and convenient to get to. A few sessions with a personal trainer is a great idea. I have previously worked out with a personal trainer, and she was really awesome- so not threatening, and helped me understand which exercises were right for me.

    I also learned a few important things about a "successful" work-out program. First off.... don't set unattainable goals, because you will always feel demoralized. By this, I mean.... don't commit to working out at the guy 5 or 6 days a week, if your calenadar can't accomodate. It's perfectly OK to go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week, and work out at home on other days. Some weeks, you will have more time to work out, and some weeks you won't. Don't beat your self up over it. Also.. if you don't feel well, take a break. There will be weeks where you feel fab- take advantage of those to up your fitness level by pushing yourself a little harder.

    In a nut-shell, working out should be an enjoyable and effective way to reach your goals. Don't let it become something that makes you feel bad.

    Anyway, I know you will do great with the gym. You are really a hard-working, undaunted amazing person.

    Best of luck to you in this new leg of your journey.

    Hugs...
    GenCi

    ReplyDelete