Saturday, April 24, 2010

Fabulous freedom at 40

We're gonna be in the poor house by the end of the summer! And it's all my weight loss angel's fault.

I find I want to get out and enjoy all the things that life has to offer. Everything I couldn't do before I want to dive into now. I want to see, experience, feel, touch...soar and SWEEP! Out with the old life and in with the new. I worry I'm overwhelming my poor husband with the 'I want to do this' stuff. And yes, it all costs money. But this is my coming-out party. My summer of Fabulous Freedom at 40. LOL!

- Zip lining. Yep, you read that correctly. There's a ski resort in our town and during the summer they offer zip lining. My brother-in-law and I are ready, man. When they open, we're there. We're both afraid of heights and this is another thing that I would NEVER have considered doing at 444 pounds (they probably wouldn't have let me on the thing, even if I wanted to!). Should be interesting.

- Camping. I mentioned this a couple blogs back. Erich and I are going for our anniversary next month. Now, camping IS cheap but it still costs money. The last time we went it was pretty bad. My knees had just started really acting up and I could barely walk. This time, we're gonna hike all over the place.

- Nashville! Erich and I are going to Bo's fan club party during CMA Fest (aka Fan Fair) in June. I've been to Nashville twice but have never been sightseeing. There was never time and besides, I couldn't have walked around downtown anyway. On this trip, I will with no problems. Oh yeah!

- We're not totally sure, but think we will be taking a trip to Utica, NY the weekend after CMA Fest to see Bo perform there. We have friends near there and may not be able to resist the temptation. We'll have to see if there's any money left after Nashville! LOL!

- Bon Jovi/Kid Rock concert! I am going to see two of my all-time favorite performers TOGETHER live!! My friend Randi scored us awesome 7th row seats, right behind the pit. I am so psyched I can't even tell you! This is in July and should be a really good one-year post-op anniversary present to myself. I will not worry about walking all over downtown Toronto. I won't be worried about fitting into any seats. I will just be having a good time. I can't wait. Randi has also had gastric bypass so she is looking forward to all this stuff, too. We are AWESOMENESS. That's what we keep telling ourselves! LOL!

- Annual trip to Ohio for my family's reunion. This time, we're going to Kings Island and Cindy will, for the very first time, get on a roller coaster. I couldn't fit on one before and I was always afraid it would screw my back up anyway. And there was the fear of heights thing. But now, my back is pretty much a non-issue and I think I'll be ok to put the roll bar down. The last time I was there, I was so hot I thought I might pass out plus I had to rent a scooter because I couldn't walk around. And I ended up breaking the damn thing. I was 32. Haven't been back since. Ridiculous. No scooter this time and lord knows I don't get hot like I used to.

This may not sound like much but to us, this is a big summer planned!

There are little things, too, that I take the time to experience now that I can. Like today for example. I went on my daily 30-min. walk/jog and decided to go to a local park. The entrance to this park is something I can see when I look out my kitchen window but I have never been to. You have to walk down a pretty steep hill to get to it and I have just never bothered. Isn't that awful? Now that the weather is nice, today I thought I'd go down there and walk around. So I did. There's playground equipment, of course, a slide and swing set. No one was around.

Could I get on that swing set? That might be fun. I never would've considered doing THAT 200 pounds ago. I would be afraid it would break or that I couldn't get my ass into the seat in the first place. I never would've even tried it at all.

I look at the seat. Hm. Maybe. I sit down (HEY! I fit!) gently, as if I'm still concerned my weight will break it somehow. I look up at the steel hooks securing the chains to the top of the frame. Not even creaking or anything. Ok. I lift my feet up and sway back and forth, slowly at first then I push myself. Higher and higher. I close my eyes and feel the sunshine on my face, the cool breeze blowing against me. I lean back and just let the motion of the swing carry my body through space. It was so freakin' awesome I can't even tell you. 'I Gotta Feeling' is playing on my mp3 player and feels like fate. I stayed on that swing for a good 15 minutes. This is what freedom feels like.

And I ain't stopping now!

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great list, Cindy! I know you'll have fun doing each and every one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy - that is wonderful.
    It sounds like you have a wonderful summer planned - you deserve it.
    Keep on keepin on!!! I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say that life begins at 40... but seriously Cindy, I think you've taken that expression to an entirely new literal level. Life is good, life is great, it's awesome that you are finally getting to experience all it has to offer. You go girl. Oh.. and I miss you already!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a big smile on my face before the swing story, but that damn near made me cry. Freebird, baby!! That was you on the swing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you...you're AWESOME Cindy. Luv ya <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. You continue to inspire. Enjoy every moment. You deserve this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep swinging higher and higher, Cindy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Cindy, I was almost crying when you were recounting your experience on the swing....freedom, indeed! Live is for the living, and you are indeed living it, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing and I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cindy, you need to publish a book!! You are a great writer and your story is so inspiring!!! Thank you and I am so very happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. DO IT ALL!!! And then go back and do it again! You can't take that money with you and you work hard to enjoy life. So my friend, you get your beautiful hiney out there and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Freebird! I like the sound of that Susan! Thanks for the comments everyone. Ya'll are awesome.

    ReplyDelete