Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The break up

I had previously believed that "Hell Week" referred to the week right after surgery; I was wrong about that. It is the week before, the one where you are on a liquid diet, that is called Hell Week. I'm starting to understand why already, on day one.

I must admit that I can see that I think about food too much. (Ya think?) It's odd that it never registered before today, at least not entirely, the way I've built my life around my next fix. Of course, I'm definitely thinking about food today more than other days because I can't have it. However, there have been moments today where I've forgotten that I can't eat and found myself thinking about what I'm going to eat in the future and then realization sets in.

Did I always think about food in those terms? "Here's what I have at home and do I want that or should I stop and get something else?" This goes beyond the age-old 'what am I making for supper' thoughts. It's more than that. I think about food in terms of an event that's going to happen that will make me very happy. It's hit me like a ton of bricks that I've done that a lot in my life.

For example, when I get ready to go home to Ohio for a visit, I certainly do think about the activities I'm going to enjoy with my friends and family while I'm there. But I also think about what restaurants I want to eat in that aren't available up here; what food I want to bring back to Canada with me from the grocery store. There's something wrong with that.

I came to a hard realization today - I'm breaking up with food. Nia Vardalos, the Greek/Canadian actress famous for starring in 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' explained her recent weight loss by saying "I broke up with cheese." And it does sort of have to be that way, doesn't it?

Look, Maple Blondie from Applebee's, you're beautiful and desirable but you're not good for me....I just need some space right now and I can't be around you. Actually, it's not you it's ME. I think you're fantastic but I have to say goodbye.

Right?

There's a mourning period where weakness sets in and you cry and you swear you'll do anything to get him back! Your friends are there for you to give you strength and try their best not to let you do anything stupid like running back to him and throwing yourself at his feet. Eventually the pain subsides and you realize you're so much better off. And someday, you look back and wonder what the hell were you thinking?? Life is better without him. It's no different with a Pizza Hut Meat Lovers Pan Pizza.

Right now, I'm in a much better mood than I thought I'd be. I've been on the verge of tears a few times, but overall I'm ok. I'm hungry, but I'll live. The first day is always the worst. But what I'm doing now to overcome this lifelong, debilitating affliction is a small price to pay for living long enough to hear one more song; read one more book; feel one more hug or kiss - write one more word.

It'll be worth it.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! That is an interesting insight. I need to mull that over for a bit. Thanks, Cindy, for making me think.

    By the way, YOU ROCK! You're strong and you'll get through this! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep reading your last sentence, hon. Just keep reading it and saying it to yourself.

    Were you ever a smoker? Well I was. Two packs of menthol Virginia Slims a day. I quit cold turkey. One of the amazing things about quitting was the freedom I felt. The freedom from thinking about smoking. The time I gained!! It is always in the back of your mind. When will I have my next cigarette. Subconsciously perhaps, but it's there. Smoking it. When will I have my next cigarette. A vicious circle.

    Well it's the same with food. Free yourself, Cindy! It's like a breath of fresh air.

    Oh and hang in there, you're gonna knock it out of the park!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great analogy, Cindy! I love it!! And yes, it is a lot like that...I think women have it hard because it is our lot in life to be the food preparers - it has been hard-wired into our genetics...the ones who were good at gathering survived...the women who got up at 3 a.m. to stoke the fires to bake the bread, survived and their families survived...it is quite an intricate thing - women and food...but I get it! Hang in there, Cindy, it will get better (I hope!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First... I agree with Susan. This is probably in some ways a lot like quitting smoking. I became very good at quitting.... I did it at least 3 times a year!!! It's been almost 6 years now, and unfortunatly I did not quit soon enough..the damage is done but at least there has been no additional damage.
    Here is your MILLION DOLLAR IDEA.... They should have a PATCH..... sort of like a nicotine patch, except for food. Slap on a Pizza Hut Meat Lovers patch, and you are good for 4 hours. It could even be scratch and sniff. Then slap on a DUNKIN DONUT'S BOSTON CREAM. The patch will make you feel like you've just eaten... a variety of your favorite foods without all those calories!!!

    Seriously, you are an inspiration!! You are in the home stretch now, so keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep your eye on the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy... I can totally relate. As a child, I was REALLY heavy... like over 100 pounds before kindergarten heavy. I remember after eating dinner, I would feel depressed, because I felt there was nothing else in that day to look forward to. Then I would remember.. we get to eat again tomorrow! Definitely not a healthy focus for a 5 year old.

    I think somewhere around the 4th grade, my entire family went on a "get healthy" kick. My entire family used to keep a chart on how many calories they ate and how many they burnt throughout the day. Having the whole family on board really made it work.

    I can say that since then my relationship with food has been a heck of a lot healthier, but I definitely over-indulge more than occassionally and don't always work out as much as I'd like. But, I know that when I do put my mind to it, I can gain control.

    So... your awesome analogy is well taken.

    Definitely keep your eyes on the prize. YOu have done sooooo well and I know you will continue to do so. You have to. I haven't gotten to meet up with you at a Bo show yet! :)

    Wishing you all best and continued strength and success.

    Hugs..
    GenCi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congradulations on getting through the first day. Before you know it the week will be over. Summers have a way of doing that. You're doing great and I continue to be in awe of your strength and courage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy, I think you have a very good understanding about what is going on in your head. Listen to yourself, you are wise and take it one day at a time. Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your day is better today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get it Cindi. I recently read somewhere that you have an unhealthy relationship with food, if you buy something at the drive thru, but you can't wait until you are home to eat it. That's totally me! I've actually eaten Chinese food from the container at a traffic light in the middle of town. I know you must be scared this week, but you're so strong... You are going to be just fine!

    ReplyDelete