Sunday, February 22, 2009

The chase for choices


Erich and I saw this commercial the other night and burst out laughing because this is so me. I'm just not really into the veggies, especially V8 juice. YUCK. I did buy a bottle of the V8 Fusion and drink a small serving of it in the morning instead of my regular OJ to get some veg in any way I can. It does have loads of sugar, but alas, the V8 Fusion Lite isn't available in Canada, so I make do. It's a problem.

Oh! Erich hopped on the scale last night just for kicks (he's down a few pounds!) so I did, too, even though I'm supposed to wait till Tuesday. I said at the beginning of this I wasn't going to become obsessed with the scale and only get on it once a week. But guess what? 4.4 more pounds lost. Since Tuesday! I'm feeling pretty good about it and I'm counting every single "point-whatever". LOL! I actually got on the thing three times to make sure it was accurate because I really couldn't believe it. There were tears. Yes, I'm a sap. That's 9.6 pounds in about 12 days. Not too bad.

But getting back to choices. I'm frustrated with the lack of availability of low-sugar, low-carb, diet options here in Ontario. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised in a country where I never see people who look like me. I used to say 'there are no fat people in Canada'. There are, but not like at home and not like me. Clothes are also nearly impossible to find. There are two plus-size department store chains here; in one, forget it. In the other it's really tough, but if it's "made big" and I can find one in the biggest size the store carries, then MAYBE it'll fit. Thank god for ebay and my mother-in-law, who, as a former seamstress, has made clothes for me almost since the day I set foot on Canadian soil.

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago, I expected to go to the grocery store and load up on everything I needed. Not so much. I guess this country hasn't rocketed to the obesity/diabetes/early death epidemic that the States has because there is very, very little to buy in the way of sugar-free and low-carb. And believe me, I've looked.

On the other hand, it's very easy to find a nice variety of good produce here. Where I come from, the produce section is what most people stroll through in a hurry to get to the meats, the chips and the donuts in the bakery section. It's a small corner of the store. Which is probably one reason I ended up this way! On our visits to Ohio, Erich has expressed his dismay at the fantastic array of....ah....apples and bananas? But when we move down, we'll work it out.

I've had several people ask if I'm growing more fond of veggies. In a word, no. But the ones I've found that I do enjoy, I'm eating the heck out of them and really trying to step out of the comfort zone a bit and try things I always said I didn't like. I bit into a cucumber the other day. Meh. Kinda like an apple or something but not sweet. No taste. That's the difficulty with veggies, they have no taste. Or at least I don't think they do. And I also don't like the mayonnaise-y, vinagar-y dips and dressings people use to give them taste. Sigh.

Just thought I'd give an update since it's been a few days since I posted. I love ya'll for reading! *hugs*

7 comments:

  1. First of all: Yay for the weight loss. I don't know exactly how you're doing it, but obviously it's working.

    Second: There are plenty of folks in Ontario who are overweight. Did you forget about me?

    Keep going, you're doing great!
    Love ya and I hope to see you and Erich soon!
    Hugs
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the commercial! LMAO!

    WOOT!!!! I'm so happy for you Cindy! WTG!

    I really wouldn't worry about looking for "low carb", carbs aren't our enemy... don't buy into it! Just keep track of your calories and you'll keep loosing that weight. Heck, you might continue to do awesome on your own and decide to see how far you can actually go without the operation.

    Tuna in water is pretty low cal. Add a bit of diet mayo, smear it on some diet bread, load on the veggies (lettuce, tomoato and cucmber slices) and you have yourself a meal!
    Make yourself a mushroom omelette... mushrooms are VERY VERY low cal. Just make sure you use pam instead of margarine.

    You are doing it and I'm extatic (sp???) for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marianne - HUGS girl! I'm just trying to eat better and move more at this point. It's also a process of trying not to beat myself up if I make a slip.

    Diane - Thanks, hon! I have always hated the idea of mushrooms; it's FUNGUS. Blech! But I'm trying to be more open so maybe I'll give it a go. And I always use Pam, I have ever since I can remember. I think I picked that up from my first diet and just kept it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So forget about the fungus... Green pepper and onion omelettes are good too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Cindy, and Diane is right count the calories. i cheated and went to Kenucky last weekend and that doctor told me she didnt care what i ate as long as i stayed at 1200 calories a day, and wow, that is not a lot of food. especially the food i eat, lol. i went over my 1200 just in my mt dew a day.
    and a way to go to Erich to for his weight lose too.
    love you, Missy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane - I've heard portobello mushrooms have a "meaty" flavor and are wonderful on the grill. I might try that. Again, I have to try things I always said I hated.

    Missy - Girl, you gotta give up the Dew. LOL! Or at least drink diet. I have developed a taste for diet soft drinks and skim milk over the years and now wouldn't drink anything else. Crystal Lite rocks, too. Thanks for reading, Miss. It means a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea what grocery stores you shop at in Ohio, but our stores have big beautiful produce sections. It's always the first stop on your way around the perimeter of the store. Heck, even our Walmart has a huge produce section. Do you like Ranch dressing? I love snacking on veggies dipped in a low cal Ranch dressing. I'm not a vinegary person either, but I do love the creamy stuff. For lunch I always take a big bag of grapes, a banana and a cheese stick. I know it's not a lot, but it allows me to graze through the day and I never seem to get starving. Cherries work well for that too. I like Diane's idea of the veggie omelets. I've recently started eating egg beaters and honestly, I can't taste the difference. Especially if I cut up a bunch of veggies, sautee them up in Pam before adding the egg beaters.. then top it with some fat free american cheese. Yum! Crap, I'm making myself hungry! LOL Way to go Cin! And you said diets never work for you... heh!

    ReplyDelete