Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Too little, too late!

When I got to work yesterday, I had three people rushing to tell me about this article:

http://news.therecord.com/article/493038

Basically, the Canadian government has finally realized that it costs much more to send its citizens (or permanent residents, like me) to the U.S. for a surgery that can be performed in Ontario. DUH! BIG RED TRUCK! So over the next two years, the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) will open 4 bariatric clinics across the province and increase surgeries performed in Ontario by 500%. One clinic will be about 30 mins. from me, another about an hour. JOY! Does me no friggin' good whatsoever. *sigh* That sucks for me (and the hospitals in Detroit and Buffalo catering to Ontario bariatric patients), but on the other hand I'm very happy for the people who will benefit from this. It's about time!

I hopped on the scale this morning for my regular Tuesday weigh-in and I'm up a little over a pound. Hm. I don't really know why - yes, I did eat at a Chinese restaurant on Saturday - BUT - I did mostly veggies, chicken, grilled steak and fruit. I was in line with my calorie, fat, carb & protein intake that day. I did SO much better than I normally do. I was proud! So I'm not sure why I gained but I'm trying not to let it get me down too much and just keep on doing what I'm doing.

I need to thank all of you guys for reading. The hits to this blog far exceed anything I could've hoped for and the comments mean the world to me! And we're just getting started!

I've had people ask me what I'm doing to lose this weight. Well, I'm just trying to make smarter choices, eat more vegetables and move more. That's about it. Instead of a double with cheese & bacon with a large fries, I'll get a grilled chicken sandwich and small chili. Stuff like that. I joined Sparkpeople and it is so great. They told us about it at the surgery seminar in Detroit. The link is at the end of the page with my other links. I plugged in my goal - "lose 45 pounds by April 24" and it tells me exactly how many calories, carbs, protein and fat I need to eat and how much exercise I need to do each day to reach that goal. I don't always get the exercise in (I'm doing what I can), but I hit the nutritional requirements every day. It's a great service and it's free. I highly recommend it.

9 comments:

  1. Don't let the pound bother you, just keep doing what you are doing. And I think what you are doing is absolutely the right thing, making better choices! It will make a difference!!

    I will check out the sparkpeople thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cin, you are gonna have set backs and plateaus.. it's just the way it is. Don't let it bother you, just keep on keepin on. Gosh, I've was stuck at two pounds from my healthy weight for like THREE months! I was doing everything right.. I was just stuck. Shit happens, ya know? The scale FINALLY moved in the right direction, but damn, it does get frustrating sometimes. Just keep going and never mind. You're doin good, and btw.. you are allowed to have an off day, I know I do... just get right back into it the next day. It's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, yes i have give up the dew and i miss it terribly, for real.
    dont get discouraged over the lb gained, it happens, it may be due to a lot of different things(mother nature for one).
    i wanted to give you and everyone reading your blog some of the info that that doc gave me.
    she said that every piece of fruit you eat, that it has about 100 calories. and that some people think that eating a bowl of cereal would be better than eating 1 egg, 1 slice of bacon and a peice of toast, well most of us(i know i do this) dont eat the 1 serving amount on the cereal box, which is usually about a cup, which is not much so we shake out a little more, add fruit and a little surgar and the milk and you could very likely have around 600 caloried in a bowl of cereal. 1 egg, fried in the bacon grease, 1 peice of bacon, and the toast, is less than that bowl of cereal, i was surprized with that.
    anyway, you have inspired me to try and lose some weight too.
    oh and just to let you know that when i got weighed at the doc this past weekend i was 234 lbs(was on my period), and i weighed myself this morning and it said 224 so i think mother nature had a part in that 10 lb difference, so keep tht in mind.
    i love ya and please keep on keeping on.
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitly don't let the scale discourage you. Alot of the time it's water weight. Keep doing what you're doing and hopefully at next weeks weigh in you'll have a great surprise!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. As others have said Cin, don't get discouraged. You can do everything right a you still might put on a pound or two. Just keep doin' what you're doin' sweetie. So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll add in, my don't get discouraged.... chinese food can have lots of sodium in it.... so probably water weight. No worries! You are doing soooooooo good!!!!
    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys. I love ya'll. The pound disappeared this morning so I don't know what that was all about. Maybe water retention from the Chinese, Lisa - you might be right.

    Paris - I am trying not to beat myself up if I go rogue on this diet for one second. In the past, that might have caused me to quit altogether but I'm getting right back on it.

    Missy - That's pretty amazing about the cereal. And I can see how the calories can add up fast. Portion control is very important on stuff like that, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy, sorry it took me so long to get here, but I did. I want to ditto what everyone else is saying here. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has nothing to do with this specific blog, but wanted to share. I stumbled upon this recipe and thought it looked GREAT. I can't get the ingredients here but maybe you'll be luckier.

    Fettuccine Hungry Girlfredo!

    (80 Calories, 3g Fat, 242mg Sodium, 9g Carbs, 4g Fiber, <1g Sugars, 4g Protein = 1 Point!!!)

    Ingredients:

    1 Package Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine Shaped Tofu Noodles
    1/2 Wedge The Laughing Cow Light Cheese
    1 teaspoon Fat Free Sour Cream
    2 teaspoons Kraft Reduced Fat Parmesan Cheese
    Salt & Pepper (if desired)

    Rinse fettuccine noodles VERY well. Microwave them for one minute, then drain them and pat dry. Add cheeses and sour cream. Mix thoroughly. Microwave to help melt cheese further, and mix some more. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy. Serves 1.

    This Fettucine Hungry Girlfredo has just 80 calories per serving, and is only 1 point on Weight Watchers (if you're counting). This is the guilt-free recipe of the century!

    ReplyDelete