Wednesday, February 11, 2009

You Were Always On My Mind

Ever notice how when you go on a diet, you start thinking about food constantly? Like an old boyfriend you didn't think you liked that much but now that he's not around making you nuts, you sorta miss him?

Before this, I didn't think about food a lot. Honestly. I know you're supposed to put a lot of thought into what you stuff in your mouth, but I'm now considering every. single. calorie. It kinda borders on the obsessive, in my opinion. It makes me want food more!

Like yesterday on the way home from work, I'm craving popcorn and thinking about how I have movie-theater-butter Orville Reden-what's-his-name in my cupboard. Now, that popcorn is there all the time. It's a staple in the house. But it usually takes me months to eat one boxful (it holds 6 packs). I rarely eat it. But yesterday, I wanted it. I'm convinced this was all in my head, some cruel side effect from taking inventory of everything in my kitchen and thinking about food all the time!

It's crazy the stuff I think about now that I didn't before. And I'm positive it's affecting my brain because I woke up this morning to find that I'd left my socks on the kitchen counter last night after I took them off in the living room, then went into the kitchen to turn off the light before bed. My poor husband had to have come home at 3 a.m., went in for his dinner and there's his wife's dirty socks on the counter. WTF?? He didn't touch them, bless his heart.

Yeah. I'm thinking that's not normal.

Ah well. I suppose it'll pass!

6 comments:

  1. I love popcorn and eat popcorn. Get yourself an air popper (for the microwave) and pop away! A couple sprays of pam and some salt... YUMMY!
    They also have the 97% fat free microwave popcorn thats good. Just check the calories on that (probably more than air popping yourself).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check on the air popper. I didn't know they made them for the micro! I've been just throwing a bag in for so long. I like popcorn when I'm watching a movie or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah, when I first start a plan, obession is the norm, it's all I think about!! I start combing thru recipe books, making menu plans, all kinds of crazy stuff! It's hard to balance. I don't think a week or two of obsession at the start up is all bad, just don't "wear yourself out"!

    I lost somewhere around 65-70 lbs, about 10 have come back I think. I have some other health issues I'm dealing with, which really yo-yo my weight, but I've noticed the bottom never gets as low as it was! :)

    So this week I didn't commit to getting "with the plan", but to start a food log, and to eat more fruit and veggies. And to take my meds properly including the iron. I'm anemic. Also last week I did some grocery shopping and planning so that I could cook some good stuff for me and my family this week. I've got supper in the crock pot.

    Next week, I have a couple of outpatient tests, but when I recover from that, I plan to "get with the plan which is sorta my version of Weight Watchers counting points.

    I know this blog isn't about ME!! But I just wanted to encourage you that any positive change is progress!! And I think a bit of obsession is part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there, I think it's normal. You're not used to actually paying attention to what you put in your mouth. If you decide to do the popcorn thing, eat less than you would have before. Throw some away if you have to. Leave it on the counter for Erich instead of your dirty socks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's perfectly normal... well maybe not so much the sock thing. ;) I go through cravings whether I'm on a diet or not. Once you have what your craving, you may not care to have it again, or for a while. A couple weeks ago I was craving beet greens, but once I had them the desire went away, but now I want escargot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy, that's why diets don't work. Just the word itself has horrible connotations. You are in a transition period. Breaking old habits is VERY hard because habits are habits, ya know? What you need to focus on is creating NEW habits, healthy habits. Of course you are going to slip up, we all do, but if you work on making those healthy choices your new habits, before you realize it, you will have forgotten the old bad habits. In our meeting today, we discussed habits. She told us to fold our arms in front of us in a comfortable way. Then then she said to switch them around. It felt strange. I never realized I only fold my arms one way. One girl said it was really uncomfortable and she didn't like it. But really, it's just a habit. It doesn't hurt to do it the other way, you'd just have to train your brain to automatically do it the new way. It's the same thing with food. It's hard to create new and often uncomfortable habits when it comes to food, especially comfort food. One idea is to write down when you are hungry, and write the emotions you are feeling at that time. Is it meal time, or is it just stress or boredom that's triggering the hunger? Food is a great comforter, but other things can be too. It's just a matter of finding them and changing the habit.

    And as for popcorn, I eat a ton of that. I get the 97% fat free popcorn. There are a bunch of different kinds. I currently have the popsecret 100 calorie packs. It's a lot of popcorn, very filling and not much fat or calories. A pretty big bang for your buck calorie wise. The only one I've tried that I didn't like was the Orville Reddenbacher low calorie popcorn, it tasted weird to me and had an odd texture. The others I've tried taste like normal popocorn. I miss having it drowning in butter, but you can either sprinkle some butter buds on it or I use salt. I refuse to give up on the foods that I love, so I find lower calorie substitions. I love ice cream, and I've found that a company called Skinny Cow makes the best ice cream sandwiches and novelties that are so good you'd never know they were low fat/calorie. The shit is expensive, but I figure I'm worth it. What the hell. Hang in there Cin, you're doin good!

    ReplyDelete