Thursday, April 2, 2009

What kind of "deal" is this?

My kitchen ceiling was being re-done today and we had to get everything out so the landlord could come in with the contractor and fix it. So, I didn't get a chance to make my lunch for today. I'm typically lazy and do it in the morning. I should do it at night, but hey. Whatever. :)

I've bought lunch out a few times since starting this thing and I've been proud of making good choices - grilled chicken and baked potato and Wendy's, for example. McDonald's has a fruit and yogurt parfait that I really like so I decided to go there today. I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich, the yogurt and a small diet cola. Simple enough, right?

So I get to the window to pick my food up and she hands me a medium drink. Now, Canada is lagging behind the U.S. in the super-size fast-food containers but catching on fast. A medium is still a medium up here, not a small. But I thought perhaps that had changed, so I asked

"Is this a small?"

The woman at the window said "No, that's a medium. With the meal deal, you get a medium."

"I didn't order a meal deal." I intentionally did NOT order a meal deal.

"Oh, well it's cheaper, so she must've just rang it in that way. If you want a small, we can't give you the deal."

She hands me a bag that I know contains a sandwich and fries. I'm getting pissed. I'm already stressed out over my appointments in Detroit on Tuesday with the exercise assessment, the psych assessment and nutritionist. I've had a crappy day at work and I'm not in the mood. Actually....I AM in the mood for fries, which is specifically why I didn't order them!!

"Do I have fries, too?....*sigh*...Well, I guess if I got the meal deal, I get fries..."

"Yeah.." She hands me the yogurt, separately.

"Do I have a spoon?" I rummage around in the bag. "NO, I guess not." But I do have fries. Yeppers, sure do. And they smell awesome.

"Sorry about that," she says and hands me the spoon. I was not a happy camper and this idiot probably thought to herself, 'geez, we saved you money and you're pissed off!'

I drive to the parking lot, intent on rolling the windows down and reading, enjoying the spring weather (gorgeous day!). I cannot stop thinking about those freakin' fries. I really want them. In about 5 seconds flat, I realize I gotta get rid of them or I will eat every. single. one.

I grab them and hold them away from me like a dirty diaper. Then I RAN to the nearest trash can, plucked ONE from the container and ate it, then tossed them in. I shook my head and went back to the car, where I proceeded to burst into tears.

Now, why in the hell was I crying, you ask? Well, I didn't really know at first. I got even more pissed off that I was crying...and when I get mad, I cry. So I cried more. I got a hold of myself in a couple minutes, though. Wow! Such an unexpected rush of emotion.

Stress? Anger? I dunno, but it was weird.

I'm thinking maybe they should ask people if it's ok before they do that switch crap, you know? Do I have to tell the little speaker "Dumb ass...do not give me fries. I don't care if it's cheaper." It's ridiculous. I guess they thought they were doing me a favor but um, no. I don't need any deals like that.

I guess I'll just stick with Wendy's, where I can choose my side!

7 comments:

  1. i have done that before and i always get asked if i want the meal deal. you should have just told her that you are dieting and only want what ou ordered, i would have. lol and i hate to think you are stressing yourself out, you are doing awsome so stop stressing. Its NOT good for you.
    love ya girl,
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Missy. I'd have asked for the manager and told him/her that I didn't appreciate being given food that was not part of my order. If I'd wanted the "meal deal," I'm smart enough to order it.

    That being said, I'm SOOOO proud of you for not eating the fries. What a strong moment you had! Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, and I cry when I'm pissed too, which only pisses me off more. (((HUGS))) to you, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed with your willpower. Good job, Cindy! Now go and enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I guess I should've just said something. I will know better next time! And Laura, isn't it funny how alike we are? :) Love ya reen! Thanks for the comment, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe how idiotic that is. No wonder so many people are overweight in today's society!!!
    That is also very poor customer service. How dare they! You are such a good writer - you should write to MacDonald's or just forward this blog entry to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But you took one and threw them away. It made you stronger and I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete