Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cravings, brain bypass and weirdness

I feel a little queasy today, though I'm not sure why. I moved onto stage 3 of the post-surgery diet today. That means I can have things like scrambled eggs, thinned mashed potatoes, canned tuna - even crackers and cooked/canned fruit & veggies. Almost like a normal diet! We are only supposed to try one new food a day. I had one scrambled egg for lunch and it went down fine. I felt wonky before that - the egg didn't make the wonkiness worse. Weird, but I feel funny. Not funny ha-ha, either.

I went for my first 10-min. walk this morning and came back with cramps in my side and stomach area. My mother suggested perhaps I was going too fast. Could be. I know in Detroit, everywhere we walked Erich kept telling me, "No one's chasing us...slow down." I'm so used to practically jogging when I walked for exercise BEFORE the surgery that I may have needed reminded that I just had surgery and um, maybe slow down a touch.

I noticed over the weekend that I was having cravings for stuff I don't normally eat. I think it's the I-know-I-can't-have-it-so-I-want-it syndrome. I saw a bag of Funyons on tv and thought "OH!!! FUNYONS!!!" Now I can't tell you the last time I've bought a bag of Funyons. Or cheese-filled Ritz crackers. Or pretzels! (I don't even like pretzels that much.) Or ice cream. I never crave ice cream. I have an urge to sit down with a block of sharp cheddar or colby, sourdough bread and fresh fruit. Um...I don't think I've ever done that in my life.

It's odd and I hope it passes soon. Gastric bypass patients are warned of a "hibernation period" setting in a couple weeks post op where you get a little depressed and all you want to do is sleep. I read in a book about a woman posting on a message board that, at 6 weeks post op, she still cried at Whopper commercials. Unfortunately, I can understand that (though I haven't shed any tears for missed food yet). But I guess we're too new in the process to understand how, when we are at goal weight, we will look back and shake our heads at how we could be so attached to something that was slowly killing us. Cry? No, we should be angry at the damn Whopper! I hope I can remember that when the time comes.

I tell you what has made me cry - seeing other morbidly obese people. The day we got back to town, Erich and I went to the local hospital pharmacy to get one of my post-op meds (evidently it's very hard to find here) and when we parked, this woman walked in front of the car. I drew a sharp breath and my heart broke for her. I don't mean that I felt pity. I did, I guess, but I just felt such empathy and emotion for her. I wanted to help her. She was bigger than I ever was and struggling to get across the lot. She had on capri-length pants and I could see that her shins were horribly discoloured, the result of poor circulation. Her shirt didn't fit, but I knew that wasn't her fault; where in the world could she find one that did? I can't. Not here - I shop in the States, online or my mother-in-law sews my tops for me. There was a landscaping crew a few feet away, a bunch of young, good-looking, in-shape kids. I caught her glance over at them and I knew exactly what she was thinking: "I hope they don't laugh at me. Just let me get past them invisibly." It's ironic that the bigger you become, the more you pray to be unseen. I gotta tell ya, if any of those kids had so much as CHUCKLED, I would've been out of that car and on them like white on rice. I stared at her as she made her way past them, out of my sight. No laughing, and I'm sure my sigh of relief matched hers.

I so wanted to go to her and tell her about my surgery. I wanted to give her some clothes that were long enough to cover her belly so she could feel better about herself. I felt for her immensely and I cried for her. I'm crying for her now. Of course, I'm crying for me a little, too.

There's so much to deal with emotionally that the physical part is almost easy. We almost need a brain bypass to go along with the gastric bypass! I've been told that when you lose all the weight, you don't know what to do with yourself. It takes a long time for the brain to catch up with your new body. To enjoy a meal out on the patio with friends; you will fit in the little chair and you won't break it. To realize it's ok to get on a carnival ride; the safety bar will fit over you. It takes time not to think about those things anymore. So many things that regular folk take for granted.

I'm looking forward to that new life. I really, really am!

8 comments:

  1. I hope I can put this into the right words. It's almost 4am here and I've been in an online writing seminar - brain is in a fog so bear with me!

    My best childhood friend had gastric bypass several years ago and I remember she went through a gamut of emotions, including deep periods of sadness even as she looked forward with total excitement as she approached her goal. Not only sadness about the food, though. As her weight came off she was saying goodbye daily to a little bit herself. As far as food goes, yes, you're saying goodbye to that primary source of comfort, and for that matter an addiction, too, and facing an unknown future as a completely different person. It's certainly not just your body that goes through a huge transformation.

    Your story about the lady in the parking lot broke my heart. Bless her, and I pray she finds whatever it is she needs to turn it around and become healthy and happy.

    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, that's a whole lotta blog there, Cin. First, don't forget, you had a huge surgery, it's not like you had a hangnail removed (or whatever they hell they do with handnails). Your insides, yes your guts, are different and it's gonna take time for it all to figure out where to go, what to do and how to function properly. It's such a hard thing to remember not to be scared at all the twinges, feelings and aches and pains. Just keep following orders and keep looking forward.

    Think about being able to ride in an airplane comfortably, and even going into the tiny bathroom, about not getting food on every shirt you own because now you can lean forward or get closer to the table, hell about fitting in a booth. Think about being able to cross your legs or get up from a beach chair without making a spectacle of yourself. Think about standing comfortably at a stage for a whole concert watching a sexy Southern Rock dude, think about growing old with Erich. Damn, I bet he gets better with age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindi, I'm so glad you are not that person anymore, but so happy to know that you still have empathy for those who are. I hope as you go through this journey, you will never take anything for granted. Remember where you've been, so you can lead others and teach them to be compassionate and caring. We are all human and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. Thanks for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if I have shared this before, but my friend Brian, that I work with, had the bypass surgery done about 4 or 5 years ago. It occurred to me that I for the life of me, CAN'T REMEMBER what he looked like before the weight loss... It's like he has always been the way he is today. When I asked him about it, he said first of all that's the best compliment ever.... and 2nd... he only remembers flashes of the way he was.... and it is especially when he sees someone else struggling... that brings it back.... but it's a good thing at this point and not a bad thing. It keeps him grounded and gives himself purpose to give back to others.

    So hang in there.... you are a newborn at this point... bearly crawling...It will get easier....

    ML
    BILL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Cindy... please take it easy when you are walking, and remember that you have gone through a serious medical procedure, and it's perfectly OK to stroll instead of "wog" and enjoy the scenery around you and the people you are with.

    You are an amazing person for having such empathy for that poor soul, Cindy. I am hoping, too, that she finds the help that she needs. You are definitely a caring and beautiful person, Cindy.

    And truthfully.... TV can make anything look good. I haven't experienced what you have experienced, but sometimes I, too, see commercials for foods I never ate and suddenly think I need to have that... then that passes as soon as the NEXT food commercial comes on, and I think I need to have THAT. :)

    Cindy, I think the reason for your cravings for the chedder, sourdough and friut might be a phenomenon I once heard explained as "your body craving what it needs." So... perhaps your body is wanting protein and fruit? Maybe if you are able to eat some of that fruit and eggs you are now allowed to have, maybe it will diminish that inexplicable craving? I am not sure, but part of that theory that I heard is, "Analyze what you are visulaizing and determine what nutrient your body might be asking for."

    Anyway my post is getting WAY long. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I wish you continued success and good health.

    Hugs,
    GenCi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy
    I lack your empathy and I guess that was beaten out of me when I was a kid, but at least i know that i have a deficiency. I never really gave a hoot what other people thought of me but I do remember being embarrassed about the way I was dressed in elem. school. Anyway, I am looking to you for inspiration in MY weight loss struggle.

    As far as I can tell, you're doing great.

    DAD

    BTW I had my first weight loss choc. shake this morning and "it wasn't half bad".

    ReplyDelete
  7. All these entries made me cry (or laugh...Sue, yes, I do believe Erich will probably get better with age!) but Dad, I just don't know what to say about your comment. I am so happy to hear about your exercise and eating program and honored that I can be an inspiration for you. I want to come home and do water aerobics with you! Amazing stuff. And I don't think I ever have told you this, but thank you for breaking the cycle - you are nothing like your father and for that I am eternally grateful. Love you to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tis entry made me cry Cindy. I just love ya girl!
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete