Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sick and tired

First of all, my apologies for the previous blog! I know I was a hot mess when I wrote it. Lesson learned - think first, write later. I wanted to share my 18-lb. weight loss while also explaining my confusion over the total weight lost. I guess I didn't do a very good job! LOL! Well, I'm back at Henry Ford on Wednesday so we'll find out the real number then. I'm sure their scale is much more accurate than mine.

I haven't felt very well the past couple of days. Nauseated and tired, it's everything I can do to go out for my walks. I know I'm not eating enough - we're supposed to build up to 700-900 calories a day and I'm averaging about 400. I'm not sure how much to add; I don't want to stretch my pouch and lord knows I'm not hungry. My dr. cut my metformin (my diabetes medication) in half when I came back from Detroit, but man...my sugar is so low, that I'm going to experiment with not taking it at all. I think the fatigue I'm feeling might have something to do with the low blood sugar. I'm skipping my dosage today and will see what happens.

I am getting in all my supplements and protein, though. Protein was worrisome at first; I don't want all my hair to fall out and protein deficiency contributes to that. It's an issue with gastric bypass patients, the hair loss. I'm worried about that! My hair is the one thing I know I have going for me (I can make it look good if I want to) and I don't want to lose it. It's already much thinner than it was say, 10 years ago. But I put a scoop of Isoflex in my smoothie in the morning plus a scoop to my Crystal Light during the day and I am able to get in about 75 grams. We are supposed to have 60-80 grams a day. Actually eating FOOD instead of liquids also ups the protein content.

Supplements are no biggie for me. I've been a professional pill taker for years now.

Water is a whole 'nother issue. I'm not getting in the 64 oz. a day. It seems like I'm sipping all the time, but I'm only getting in a little over half of that amount. It's a gradual process I suppose. I'll keep working on it.

I am used to taking a diuretic every day. It keeps my blood pressure down and keeps me from being bloated. They took me off that because gastric bypass patients tend to dehydrate easily anyway - the theory is, I guess, that we don't need the "help" of a diuretic. Well, I miss mine! Especially with my pre-op weight loss, I was getting used to having ankles again! My fingers and feet are a bit bloated. Sucks!!

I sure wish I could see the light at the end of the tunnel and I could know, for certainty, that this is all worth it. I'm sure it will be, it's just hard to see it sometimes. What was my mantra again? I'm stronger than I think I am. Right.

6 comments:

  1. stupid hospital computer. had this all written out and it went blank. now I have to do it all over.


    Hey Cindy, don't ever apologize for a blog you've written. Blogs should include your good days along with the bad days. This blog just proved that you are not good with math and apparently none of your friends are either. LOL
    Sometimes when you are in the middle of shit, it's hard to see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. Especially when you are not feeling well. It may take some time to get your meds and food amounts straightened out at what's right for you.
    I wished we lived closer. But I was thinking that maybe when I get sprung out of here, possibly on Tuesday, maybe we could make plans to get together if you feel like company. I thought we could compare ankles and have a pot luck. I'll bring the jello if you supply the applesauce. What do you say?
    Love to you, I think you are doing great even if you don't think so at the moment.
    Hugs
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Marianne. Cindy, seriously, do not ever apologize for a blog entry! This is YOUR journey. And quit being so flipping hard on yourself - you're just several days post-op from a huge life-altering surgery. Your body is in serious WTF mode right now. So lighten up, chica!

    Love you, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. I will try to remember everything you've both said here.

    Marianne, I sure do wish we lived closer, too! You focus on getting 100% better then YES, absolutely we will get together for some mush and ankle-comparing. LOL! I'd love to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Your body is in serious WTF mode right now"...

    Now that was FUNNY!!!!

    Speaking of WTF.. why is Marianne in the Hosiptal? Better send out a note...

    Love ya.. keep up the good work!!
    BILL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Cindy!

    Like thay said... don't apologize for the previous blog. And... just that fact that your diabetes seems to be getting better or at least under better control... THAT is a HUGE win, right there.

    Thanks for always sharing.
    GenCi

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAng in there Hun, I am very proud of you!!
    Lots of Love,
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete