Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Home Stretch

Thanks again so much for all your continued support.

Today is day 5 on my liquids and yes, I'm still hungry! Dr. Genaw told me "after a couple days, you won't feel hungry; this is also what hunger strike participants say." Um, hells NO. I'm still hungry. Like I said, it ebbs and flows, but it's there. I'm doing ok, don't get me wrong, but I'd love to have something to eat. The protein shakes, Jell-O and popsicles aren't really cutting it. It's tough, but bearable. I'm just trying my best to keep busy, which is also hard because I'm pretty weak and tire easily at this point.

I went out yesterday to get a few incidentals I'll need post-op and it completely wore me out. Erich and I are thinking of going to see Hitsville, USA in Detroit tomorrow (he discovered it's literally just down the street from Henry Ford), but I'm not sure I'll be up to it. Maybe when I go back for my first post-op checkup.

I linked my Twitter account to my cell phone so I should be able to update my status even from my hospital bed. Also, my Twitter is linked with Facebook, so any updates will appear on both sites at the same time. So many people have asked to be updated about how I'm doing - family and friends - and this is the best way since we can't really call too many people. The roaming charges on our Canadian phone would be outrageously expensive.

Yesterday, I had the great pleasure of speaking to someone who has gone through this process and is on the other side, successful. I didn't know she'd had the surgery till recently. I think now we are going to become good friends. She was very comforting and answered any and all questions I had, as well as letting me know I could contact her again. It's really nice to have that. I will be forever grateful to her kindness and willingness to share.

I just finished a book called Before & After: Living and Eating Well After Weight-Loss Surgery by Susan Maria Leach. I highly recommend it to anyone getting ready to go through this surgery. I found it months ago at a second-hand bookstore and it sat on a shelf till about a week ago. The first quarter sort of reads like this blog, with dated entries about her daily struggles and triumphs. The second three-quarters contains invaluable nutritional information and recipes. Ms. Leach runs the website http://bariatriceating.com/ where she also sells bariatric products. I haven't tried any of those, but her book is wonderful.

I'm heading out tomorrow with great expectations of a whole new life. I know I can get there!

8 comments:

  1. It's finally here. Good for you!!! I'll be thinking of you night and day. Promise. I'm so excited for you, for the end results, for your new life, for your new long healthy life. All the best to you, Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot! You can do it, yes you can! I'm so very excited for you Cindy, yes your new life is just beginning. BS and AS will be how you divide it, Before Surgery and After Surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Cindy...You are an inspiration to all of us!!! We are so proud of you for what you already accomplished....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking tomorrow is a good day to start the rest of my life too. Maybe we can do this together. You inspire me every day. You're gonna make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing so good, Cindy...and time will fly by now...I hope you have a good day tomorrow and I will pray for you and keep you in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of Luck, Cindy. I know you will be just fine. I am sure the hardest part is behind you.

    Can't wait to hear that you come through with flying colors and that you are happy and healthy.

    It's the Eye of the Tiger..... :)

    GenCi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today is your BIG DAY!!! I'm sitting here in the Cleanroom, (in my bunnysuit) and all I can do is think about you right now. You know I love you and I can't wait to see you again, and this new life you will have.
    *HEART*
    BILL

    ReplyDelete