Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A picture says a thousand words

Well, I was supposed to go see Dr. Genaw today for my first follow-up appointment. Problem. I get to the other side of London (about 90 mins. away from home) and it hits me: I don't have my passport. Picture a woman screaming at the top of her lungs while driving down Canada's busiest highway. Yeah.

I was so busy gathering everything else I needed that I forgot the most important thing!

It would've done me no good to go home, get it and drive back to Detroit. It would've been way too late. So I called to reschedule and found out Dr. Genaw is not in next week so I have to see his colleague Dr. Carlin. Ok, I can handle that. *sigh* Only thing is, I was really hoping to get on their scale and see my true weight loss. Oh well.

I can't resist getting on my scale now. I need to stop and just get on it once a week, but it's hard! I've lost another few pounds over the weekend, despite the reappearance of psycho cycle. I'm thinking those last few days of the week where I was so tired and my blood sugar so low, might've been PMS. Fatigue and ravenous hunger are definitely two side effects I deal with every month. I'm sure my body was like "Where the hell are the Reese cups?? Where the hell is the freakin' pizza??" I was looking for a gastric-bypass-related answer but I'm not so sure now. Everything seems to be back to normal at this point.

I was looking at pics on my computer today and came across this true "before" picture. This is when I was at my heaviest. The picture was taken in November 2003. And I'm going to be totally honest, I was most likely pushing 500 pounds at that point though I really have no idea how much I weighed then. There weren't any scales, even at the doctor's office, that would weigh me. I was diagnosed with diabetes about a year later (?) and lost quite a bit (still, have no idea how much). When I started following Bo all over the place, I was starting to gain it back some, but still smaller than I was in this pic.

Dec. 2003 (click to enlarge):

Scary stuff, huh?

This is me yesterday: (click to enlarge)

I'm getting there. It'll take me a while, but one day, that woman in the first pic, and even the one in this last one, will be gone for good.

I've had a lot of people ask me why I had the surgery, why I didn't just "keep going" since I was doing so well pre-op. Well, here's the thing. I have lost 50 pounds over and over and over in my adult life. 50 pounds is a lot, yes, but to me it's a very small drop in the bucket. I was scared of failing again (i.e., gaining it all back and then some). As Dr. Phil says...the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Sure, maybe I could lose all this on my own. I don't know and I never will know. But I do know this: the gastric bypass is the one 'tool' I've never used to try to - finally - reach a healthy weight. In the past, I've tended to lose some then get bored or whatever and give up. And I could feel myself starting to think that way. It got harder and harder to stick to a healthy eating plan and drag myself to the pool. I had real doubts that I could keep up that pace long enough to lose all this weight. So I made the decision to go ahead with the surgery because I want a real chance to succeed this time. I'm almost 40; I need to stop playing around and get this weight off me.

I don't ever want to forget the woman in the first picture but she has to go. For good this time.

11 comments:

  1. Looking good Cindy. Sorry about your appointment today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're well on your way ... keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're the Incredible Shrinking Woman, all right! Good job!!!!

    I'm OCD about my passport. Just ask my husband when we flew over here to India. I checked, rechecked, and rechecked again constantly to make sure I hadn't lost it. I wish I'd been a little more OCD about our $500.00 digital camera that I left on the plane :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw that picture on FB last night I gasped at the change in you already! You look fabulous. Are you able to sleep better because you breathe better with less fat around your throat and neck? I ask because I am. Just keep going girl. And stop getting on the scale so much!

    Glad I wasn't there when you realized you forgot your passport. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who says God doesn't have a sense of humor.... I guess your lesson for today was PATIENCE...
    Your "me yesterday" picture is awesome.... yeh the weight loss is amazing.. but I'm loving that SMILE!!!!

    I'm so proud of you!!!
    MUCH LOVE,
    BILL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhhh Cindy!
    Your picture made me cry. You look so fucking amazing and I am SO happy for you. Never mind the scales....your weight loss is so clear. The important thing is...do you feel well, are you proud of what you've accomplished, is Erich all over you like mustard on a hot dog? LMAO!
    Can't wait to get out of here and come for a visit and give you the biggest hug!
    Love ya and I'm soooooo proud of you girl!
    Hugs
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy.... what can I say??? Simply AMAZING. Congratulations and best health, always. :)

    ((((HUGS)))
    GenCi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy, you look wonderful! But the next time we're at the same Bo show you'll probably have to come up and introduce yourself; I won't recognize you!! Keep it up, you are doing fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing Cindy...just wow <3

    Jeanne : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing!!

    Your journey has been very inspiring to me. When you go to college they call it the "freshman 15" weight that you gain - well because of you I lost what I call the "50/15" weight gain. Turn 50 and your whole body changes and the weight slowly and surely creeps up on you. Some may consider that losing 15 pounds is no big deal but for me it was a REALLY big deal. I feel better, my clothes fit better and I even bought a new pair of jeans in a smaller size that I have worn in years - even before 50!! AND because of you I am going to keep going and lose a few more and add some exercise to keep it off and stay healthier.

    You are an inspiration to me and many others as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like mustard on a hot dog...LMAO Marianne!! Actually, it's true that my husband looks at me now in a way he hasn't before. It's quite nice.

    Susan (grapper) - OMG, you nearly have me in tears! That's awesome and I'm so happy for you. Thank you for saying I inspire you. All the sweet words from everyone are a little overwhelming. :) Can't wait to see you again!

    ReplyDelete