Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Getting up to date

On Saturday I switched to stage two of the post-bariatric diet. This is the semi-liquid state, or, as I like to say, "thicker" liquids. I found a website with some good examples of each stage - just ignore the timeframe they give and do what YOUR surgeon tells you to do: http://www.bariatric-surgery.info/stomach-bypass-diet-advice.htm

Erich and I went grocery shopping on Friday and I was so excited to eat Cream of Wheat, I can't even tell you. I've always loved it but then I drown it in sugar and butter, too. However, I got the instant kind, used a pack of Splenda and twice the milk suggested (to thin it out) and it was soooooo good. I used non-lactaid milk as the Blue Binder (the bible Henry Ford gives its bariatric patients) directed. Bariatric patients sometimes become lactose-intolerant. I'm tolerating yogurt very well so maybe that won't be me. Anyway, that Cream of Wheat was really a treat! It went down fine.

I'm still eating 3 oz. of food over a 30-min. period, same as the hospital. I sent an email to Annette, the bariatric nutritionist at Henry Ford, asking if that is still ok. I can't find anything in the Blue Binder about food intake except the 700-900 calorie rule she mentioned right before I was discharged from the hospital. I know I can't eat 700 calories right now. At least, I don't think I can.

I'm pretty scared of testing my pouch. I'm terrified of dumping. Saturday night, I decided to make some cream of broccoli & cheese soup. Again, I was really looking forward to eating it! Something different from Jell-O and broth, you know? So I'm making it, stirring it up on the stove. An overwhelming wave of nausea came over me as the broccoli smell emanated from the pot. I thought "Oh...I don't know if I can eat that or not." About that time, I was running to the bathroom. I had violent dry heaves for the next 10 minutes or so. As soon as I thought it was going to pass, it started back up again. There was nothing in my pouch to come up, so it was painful and scary. My stomach was quivering and sore for hours afterwards. After a bit, I did manage to get some Jell-O down.

I have asked a couple gastric bypass patients who are much farther along in this process than me if that was normal; it is. Smells can make you very ill, I suppose. Man...broccoli is one of the few veggies I can tolerate eating. I'd really hate it if the smell made me so sick I can't eat it anymore. I'm hoping that will pass eventually.

I have made a smoothie for the past two mornings for breakfast: about a 1/4 of a banana, couple spoonfuls of yogurt, a bit of milk and a scoop of strawberry protein powder. THE BEST THING EVER. Oh, it was so good.

I'm a little worried about protein. We're supposed to get 60-80 grams a day and it's tough. Pre-op, I'd just drink the thing down like a shake. It's hard to do that now. And the longer it sits around, the worse it tates, I find. I'm still working on getting my protein in.

All in all, I'm doing pretty well. I'm walking and sipping water. Getting in all my supplements. We're supposed to walk a minimum of 30 mins. a day. Well, I couldn't do that pre-op and certainly can't do it now, yet. My first 10-min. walk ended with my stomach hurting (my incisions). But the past couple days I can do it no sweat. I'm going to try and break it up into three 10-min. increments till I get stronger. It's the best I can do.

I'm very nervous to get on the scale Friday. I know I gained weight being in the hospital hooked up to the IV and because of the bloat from the gas. I just hope it comes off. Wanda mentioned that because I had lost so much pre-op, I might hit a plateau quickly. I hope not. I did this so I could lose weight and keep it off...and I better see some results or I will be pissed. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

I might try soup again tonight - but not cream of broccoli!

6 comments:

  1. Good going, Cindy. Sorry you got so sick - I wonder why...well, I hope you can keep the next soup down. I think you are so brave and so courageous. I am pulling for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's OK to feel pissed. Pissed can mean you're motivated to move forward. You're doing so well, Cindy! I'm so happy for you! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're doing so well Cindy. You will lose more weight. Keep up the good work. I'm glad you are finding things you can eat and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Broccoli? Are you nuts,that smell is enough to kill a horse!

    Heh. Just listen to what your body tells you to do, it usually knows best. It may be a little confused right now though.

    I'd be pissed too if I didn't lose weight, but you will, you will. Just keep on truckin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patience my little grasshopper.... Just keep doing what you are doing and the rest will take care of itself. The hard part is over... so Baby steps....(30 minutes a day.. LOL)

    Love ya,
    BILL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww....well, I detest the smell of broccoli anyway, but it sure is tasty! Maybe your sense of smell and tastebuds (which are of course very much one) have shifted. So maybe you can handle other veggies now? Gotta get a few of those in from time to time :)

    Keep at it Cindy, you're doing wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete